From what I heard it does not have stupid slow Edge and only has the EU freq.

So finally a phone that is FULLY open source {including the FULL wireless and GSM drivers} and works full in Ireland and it support injection OFTB///

I'm ordering one TODAY////

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What bugs me a bit is the project's recent lack of clear vision. They move from GTK to QT to EFL without explaining, without communicating... They ship all three toolkits so applications will not have a coherent look and feel... It seems the whole thing has become a playground for people who walk in, massage their egos and walk out again. I do hope something good will come out of this eventually, but seeing OpenMoko's decline from a bold start (focussed on a well-defined goal) to what it is now, I have my doubts.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Well they explained it. For example: http://www.vanille-media.de/site/ind...asu-fso-tmtla/

But I have my doubts too. The hardware of the freerunner is really underwhelming. And the software isn't really that feature packed.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
You will also be able to run Qtopia on it (not ASU, which is hardly Qtopia). Which is the most mature and stable phone software for it, and ... most importantly, it works.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Welcome to 2008 where no UMTS/HSDPA on phone means no pennies from me.

Is this device worth it compared to a Iphone 2 or N96? You decide...

Support of packet injection is sweet, but I can use a netbook or laptop for that too. With UMTS/HSDPA I won't need packet injection. Besides, I rather stay legal (in this regard ).

Do you think it's easy to make a first phone with such many features ?
Even a really big company like Apple which made a wonderfull phone (for a first one) has failed in making a perfect phone (no gps, no complete bluetooth2, no (megapixel) camera, no 3G, not open to make apps...). They're correcting these slowly since Iphone2.

Then FreeRunner is the first "FULLY open source" phone serie and they're correcting mistakes one by one : first version has no wifi, no graphic accelerator, lower cpu, no accelerometer, no usb host...
Remember, it's a phone ! Do you want it to make your coffee ?
The true question is : when will people stop asking for more ?
I'm sure 3G will come later (or why not wimax? n810Wimax edition has NO 3G !), but now it's a matter of managing the power ! (3G drains batteries, remember Steve Jobs with Iphone1)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murphy For This Useful Post:
'Open source hardware' makes me think we might get Neo forks at some point, maybe ones that actually look good.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
'Open source hardware' makes me think we might get Neo forks at some point, maybe ones that actually look good.
Like this one ?
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2955814405.html

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Remember, it's a phone ! Do you want it to make your coffee ?
Why yes, I want it to schedule that for me based on what time I have to get up every day.

Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol (HTCPCP/1.0)

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Like this one ?
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2955814405.html
Interesting that they claim to run Android on it with while it has the same hardware as the Freerunner. Not sure about the looks though. "tartan weave skin said to spell out "Debian" in Morse Code"