Notices

yes, i thought to use alarmed to launch the backup command. but i dont know how is the command!! because osso-backup is the command that only opens the apllication, it doesnt launche the backup overwriting the older one...
does anybody know how could be the command to launch the backup??

Just to pipe up, I'd like something like this, a way to schedule a backup on the command line.

Please note that nothing based on duplicity, scp, rsync, etc etc is even close to an adequate backup solution. The important thing is not the backup, but the restore. The restore has to be possible with one click starting from a freshly re-flashed phone. Anything more complex than that will result in the user (i.e., me) making things even worse in the panic, making mistakes like rsyncing from the host to the backup instead of the other way round and so on. You really don't want to be hunting around in wikis for ways to restore from backup when you can't remember the wifi password and you've got a plane to catch and you can't remember which terminal it leaves from, which is precisely the circumstances you usually find yourself in when you need to restore a backup.

The best solution here would be to add a DBus interface to the backup application (there is already a DBus address, com.nokia.backup, but there are no interfaces or objects listed there). I'd guess it's probably not an awfully complicated piece of coding for someone familiar with DBus and glib.

Unfortunately I really really don't have time to do this myself, and this isn't a complaint. Also, Maemo is dead and Meego is the future, so there's not much point doing this for the current distribution. Like I say, just piping up.

Edit to add: turns out backup is a Nokia application and there's no source available. So even if I wanted to do this, I can't.

Last edited by matthew_exon; 2010-12-06 at 20:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_exon For This Useful Post: