Active Topics

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Now, now. Three guesses--and the first two don't count--on where it has been fixed worksforme'd.
Let me guess...
Does it start with F (like the expletive that comes to mind when you see this kind of bug "fixing")?

Tear is my primary browser now. The sites I use most work better with it. My opinions:
* Facebook and Google Docs on MicroB are slow and riddled with bugs (some have been filed and labeled with that heartwarming phrase "WONTFIX for Diablo"). These sites work on Tear but were slow enough on Fennec to trigger warnings about slow Javascript.
* I don't like MicroB's use of D-Pad. Clicking it jumps between clickable browser elements but holding it scrolls. My problem was I rarely wanted the jump feature but would frequently trigger it accidentally. With Tear it just scrolls.
* Fennec is a large install and I don't have that much space on my internal memory (and I haven't set up dual-booting or OS cloning). Also, last I checked Fennec had no scroll bar and there were bugs that greatly reduced the usability.
* I have crashes & freezes with Tear, but its crash recovery feature goes a long way to reduce the pain of these.

BTW, there is now a mostly-finished wiki page about Tear for those interested.

My main problem with Browser is Flash and Javascript ; i have to turn Flash off or i simple can't view BBC pages. Drives me crazy!!

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Anyway, I have installed three browsers on my tablet, MicroB, Fennec and Midori. I tried Tear 2 months ago but that one crashed too often but I might try it again now.
The problem with Tear and Midori is that javascript cookies aren't supported (yet ?) which I use heavily on offline webpages for e.g. ephemeris, calculator, scrabble game, etc. using without internet connection which work perfectly on MicroB and desktop browsers.

MicroB is good but javascript is slow, flash is slow. The most annoying is that dragging over the screen sometimes selects text, sometimes scrolls, it is unpredictable. When it selects text you have to use the (narrow) scrollbars to scroll.

Fennec turns out to be rather stable while is user interface required to get used to. The zooming is very good but bookmarks cannot be added, only bookmark folders. Moreover copying and pasting URLs does not work (unless you use the hardware keyboard) because the onscreen keypad reappears in front of the copy/paste popup. Moreover the site wikisky.org / sky_map.org (a google maps like site for the sky) issues a message that a javascript is in an infinite loop.

Midori is really fast with javascript, but has problems with javascript generated cookies.

I've only tried Tear and MicroB on the tablet. There's also digia@web but I haven't tried it out yet.

Though what would you say is better for Google Docs skatebiker? Midori or Tear, I'm guessing Midori since Google Docs is heavy on javascript.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Midori and Tear use the same WebKit engine. So doesn't matter.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I've only tried Tear and MicroB on the tablet. There's also digia@web but I haven't tried it out yet.

Though what would you say is better for Google Docs skatebiker? Midori or Tear, I'm guessing Midori since Google Docs is heavy on javascript.
I'll try. I have not tried yet.