Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
"they" who ? Skype is not owned by Nokia. The N900 can't be more 'ahead' in that regard than the latest skype mobile version lets it to be.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RJ45 View Post
For me Video Skype would be the killer application for the N900. If they miss this oportunutiy to be "ahead" in this area, then that would be sad.

As far as I know these kind of deals are partnerships. Hence, if Nokia wants more devices sold then killer software on them is a must (skype video or whatever your idea is..) while at the same time this provides Skype with some more potential users (if already a user then they can retain you). However, if your only going to sale 10,000 units then it won't be worth it to Skype to spend their energy on your device. Or who knows maybe Skype sales a license to Nokia for each unit.

In sum, you need two sides to make a deal.

Last edited by jandmdickerson; 2009-09-23 at 20:25.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
I have been using MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger for years, and most of my friends use that too. Is there no support for WLM in the standard software? What is the best third party app, of not? Is there no chance of getting video chat on WLM on Maemo?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
I have been using MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger for years, and most of my friends use that too. Is there no support for WLM in the standard software? What is the best third party app, of not? Is there no chance of getting video chat on WLM on Maemo?
The default software does not support MSN, however there will be additional plugins on the way. In talking with those that are working on it, they are expecting to release sometime around the N900's release or a little after it and will take the form of plugins for the main IM program that you would download from the App manager.

As for video chat, the current version of telepathy-butterfly ready for MSN is 0.5.0 and video chat was added just the version after that. The guys working on bringing these additional chat protocols to Maemo 5 are aware and interested in getting it to work, however there's no way to predict when/if video chat over MSN will make it.

More information coming when I get it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Thanks for the info. I think I was chatting with you on IRC last night.

Is Telepathy what the Maemo Conversations app is based on?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Is Telepathy what the Maemo Conversations app is based on?
Telepathy is the framework used in Maemo for communication (IM, SIP, VoIP, video conference, ...).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
As far as I know the video conferencing over 3G for T-Mobile is blocked by the Provider not because the phone does not support it.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, we were. Welcome to tmo.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tehsu View Post
As far as I know the video conferencing over 3G for T-Mobile is blocked by the Provider not because the phone does not support it.
Which country are you talking about?

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Since Skype guy would be at the Summit, I don't think that he wil come there to tell everybody bout calls/messaging only. So...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post: