Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Originally Posted by unique311 View Post
when can we expect a 2008 port.
would it be possible to get your modified source code, so i can try to port it to 2008.
i want to port some qt apps.
that required the libs.
This is original qt-x11-free 4.3.2 debian package, nothing modified.
If you run into problem with qemu, search in this subforum (patch, qt, qemu) for a line I modified in the sourcecode.
First I'll build all examples/demos to finish with OS2007.

Last edited by free; 2007-12-29 at 23:28.

163 examples and demos from qt4.3.2(4.4Mb targz) for OS2007
Texteditor, tetrix, bittorrent client, ... , useless stuff,..,no clue,...

This is not packaged, it's standalone and installed in one subdirectory.

Thanks to Trolltech

I'm looking forward to trying this out, but i cant install the core lib onto device.

I tried on N800/OS2007 and on another N800/2008 and they both say incompatible package.

The log says Package must have 'Section: user/F00' to be considered compatible.

First, I don't have my device here (I shouldn't drink so much during parties lol) so I can't check for sure.
Second, the section does not contain "user/" because this is not meant for users (yet), it's meant for developpers. I don't want qt libs to appear in application manager. So you should install it from command line.
Third, this is really only for os2007 cause I didn't find the time to install chinook scratchbox yet.

Anyway, how did you manage to see them in app manager? red pill mode?
(I assume when you say log, you mean the log in app manager and then I guess you tried under app manager)

I'm uploading another app.

By the way, qt4 is also in this repo:
debfarm.free.fr
user
bora

(and not "incoming" which _only_ contains libqt and not the app I'm preparing)

Tell me if you succeed

edit:
Here it is.
apt-get install qbrew
Homebrewer receipe calculator
Attached Images

Last edited by free; 2007-12-29 at 22:58.

Oh ok i was browsing repo from web browser. I got it installed.

Some impressive demos... will take me a while to look through them all but diagramscene and pathstroke look cool.

I guess the ftp, spreadsheet (although limited), and torrent would be cool for 810 users or users with the soft-keyboard like debernardis is using.

More importantly though, i've run into programs that required that lib in the past and i just gave up. Maybe time to re-examine http://freshmeat.net/browse/871/

Thanks, look forward to some good qt apps!

By the way, both of the editors you two posted are amazing... i imagine with bt keyboard or 810 they would make great wordprocessor!

Last edited by pipeline; 2007-12-29 at 23:10.

Yes, so many apps...
And yes, without keyboard most of the apps are useless. A kind of event-gateway to the hildon keyboard would be good.
Although the bittorrent is the only one I really tried and it does not need keyboard. But, well, it's an example for a library so there's really the minimum..
Some applications will need some tweaking (fonts or recoding) because the screen is not big enough (example pathstroke)

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
By the way, both of the editors you two posted are amazing... i imagine with bt keyboard or 810 they would make great wordprocessor!
Yep that's true, amazing. (what kills me is that the one I posted is an example, Ok I'll stop repeating myself)
But to my mind it needs: cups (penguinbait did it) and spelling correction (already aspell on the device if I remember)

@ free

Thanks!
I like doing and using Qt/KDE apps better than gnome and appreciate the port. Hopefully we can get some good apps built.

Sweet

Looking forward to this being finalized

Yes, so many apps...
And yes, without keyboard most of the apps are useless. A kind of event-gateway to the hildon keyboard would be good.
I finally got around to installing penguinbait's KDE. In it he has XKB docked in the panel. In some respects XKB actually looks and works better than the hildon keyboard. I was able to use it with rdesktop to log into my Win2k server and finally make use of the server using rdesktop. That was impossible using the rdesktop/hildon keyboard.

Since KDE works so well, and easily fits in the 2GB N810 flash, I'm of the opinion that any Qt development work should focus upon that environment rather than the Maemo/Hildon stuff. A lot of the Maemo stuff is really primitive by comparison to KDE apps, and we can still use the Hildon input stuff. It makes much more sense to work toward adapting Qt and KDE to the tablet, using your Qt port for the apps, than to do the opposite. There's already a lot of code that's been done with Familiar and Opie. That stuff is where the Nokia tablet got its start, and the is the place for the ideas from which most of the Maemo code is built upon. Why try to reinvent the wheel (again. . . )

KDE runs fine on the tablet and has all the advantages of a windowing environment that Matchbox doesn't have. The existing hildon/Maemo/Gnome apps mostly work, too. All we need to do is to adapt and merge together XKB and the hildon keyboard, and to standardize a right-click method (any suggestions on that would be welcome. I'm thinking use the 3 top resize buttons for a 3 or 4 button mouse,( ie. tap=left, tap+fullscreen=center, etc. ) )!

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Nokia and the Maemo developers seem to have a decidedly anti-Trolltech attitude. In the Wiki somewhere they even refer to the (outdated and blatantly false) myth that Qt is closed-source proprietary software! (Time for a bug report on that, but now I can't find the page) I'm actually surprised they let you post Qt on the Maemo site. . .

The other problems with Maemo are the frequent code breaks, and the fact that it's based on Debian (specifically Debian testing/unstable). I don't want to deal with code breaks and buggy and obsolete libraries.

Even Debian testing/unstable is very old stuff with lots of obsolete code. As an example of how obsolete the Maemo stuff is:
they are using 2.6.18 thru 2.6.21 kernel, while the current is 2.6.23. Glibc in OS 2007 is libc-2.3.6.so, while the current is 2.7. When they introduced Maemo to the public they taked about getting Linux "straight form the source." Instead they get it straight from the dust heap. . .

The ideal solution would be to update everything as much as possible using current source from the package developers or from a more current distro like Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Fedora/Gentoo. It would be quite a bit of work, but a lot of it has been done already and much of the rest is simple compilation. Just like Ubuntu/Kubuntu there should be Maemo / (K)aemo That might even spur Nokia to put a little more effort into Maemo and update it a bit. . .