Hm, not here

Can't pull down anything. Think in a fit of desperation I've tried every package in the repo's I've got listed (which includes modest).

Going to give up until the weekend...

Originally Posted by free View Post
And better do it from the command line, because since a few days this damned repository also has network problems but much less critical that maemo's.
I've set up the repository as per the details in your op but now I'm in a chicken and egg situation:

As I understand it the command line is apt-get as per usual debian based releases to install packages. If so then this requires root which, again as I understand, requires SSH... so how do I get root to run apt-get to install ssh?

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
You don't need ssh if you can download and install "becomeroot". Then in the terminal window just type "sudo gainroot".

Thanks,

Managed to get becomeroot but that's about it.

Looks like I'll give up for a few days.

I updated lastnight . And so far i have installed
rdesktop
Mplayer beta for 2008
UKMP
FBreader
camera
GPScamera
maemomapper
Media Streamer
Quiver image
becomeroot
ssh
pidgin
pluss a few others
The trick to get them installed is do not restore any of your backup's only or doc and bookmarks . There is other post about not restoring your backup. (it worked this way as it was the 2nd flash for me) then go to the master list of repos and down load the ones you need. next you will see that it is slow !!! thats fine cuz more than 1/2 of them programs i listed you can go get the DEB's for them from https://garage.maemo.org/
Now the number one program i am working on is " Canola2 Media Player " Thay do not have the deb files for this just the install . I was looking at the install but it looks like it download more than one deb that i have not found.. I will keep trying ..

Good luck to all hope this helps ...

Computerfreek.

Ty. Going to play with the deb files tomorrow now... wife has mandated that if I don't get my *** to bed soon I'll be sleeping on the couch.

(And that would mean removing all the various bits of computer/camera gear its covered in... so night all)

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
For starters they say don't restore settings from 2007. You may need to re flash.
But, Nokia says to backup and when you start the device up, after the flash, it asks to restore your settings

Didn't they test this? What are the adverse effects?
So far it seems to work OK.

Apart from two HUGE issues I have.

With only the browser & app manager open:

"Operation temporarily disabled due to low memory"

With the web browser & app manager open, trying to launch file manager:

" Close applications, too many applications open. Unable to open additional applications without closing some others. "

What the heck? I only have two applications open! Never encountered such a thing before OS 2008.

sound like what happen to me on my 1st flash with the release . going from the beta 2008 . it seems that if you do what other say to do works don't restore your setings .. then reinstall all repos from the list and then your apps. my device is runing great now no crash not one time and i been on it all day. the only program i did not get install yet is Canola2 . but other wise the cpu meter installed allso and it stays low for the most part only peeks when 1st loading and app then it drops right down.

computerfreek

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
Thanks, I'm going to give it a few days of use, to test what exactly is up with the memory leak, if I may call it that. I wonder if the open application manager has / had something to do with it, after first boot and some fumbled application download attempts (due to Nokia server overload). I think that may have contributed to the problem; as I restarted the device and had a couple things open, and it seemed to run fine.

So, I'm going to use it a bit more and see what's up. At least I know what to try next. Thanks for the re-flashing hint.

Just flashed my n800 third time (tried flashing from linux and from windows) and didn't restore any backups but still can't install anything. I tried fixing the application repositories (and tried several different combinations). When trying to install applications from .deb files the application manager still prompts the dull and uninformative "Unable to install <application name>" whether I install a deb file I've downloaded or try to install directly from any repository. I cannot use apt-get from command line since sudo fails to accept "rootme" as root passwd. The application managers error box doesn't provide any information why the installation fails.

The application manager does connect to repositories and is able to refresh available applications but installation from repositories fails before it even downloads the file.

I don't thinks the problem can be slow repositories since offline installation fails too...

Anyone else having same kind of problems? How can I overcome it?

Thanks!