Poll: How did your install go?
Poll Options
How did your install go?

I love it; I am sort of addicted to the tetris and tron games, though.

I can't seem to install my MFC-5440 Brother Network Printer, which is supposed to be linux-friendly. I try generic profile on cups, but it asks for a mystery username and password.

KDE is for all intensive purposes functional; it really does turn my N800 into a little laptop! I have yet to check if my bluetooth keyboard works with it.

p.s. the connection manager always says "connecting" even after it finds my wireles LAN and successrully transmits. (you probably already know that, penguinbait...)

dcarter

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
I love it; I am sort of addicted to the tetris and tron games, though.

I can't seem to install my MFC-5440 Brother Network Printer, which is supposed to be linux-friendly. I try generic profile on cups, but it asks for a mystery username and password.

KDE is for all intensive purposes functional; it really does turn my N800 into a little laptop! I have yet to check if my bluetooth keyboard works with it.

p.s. the connection manager always says "connecting" even after it finds my wireles LAN and successrully transmits. (you probably already know that, penguinbait...)

dcarter

PRINTER

If you have not already set the password, open a Konsole and set the root password.

There are two Konsole links one black and one red on the taskbar

Click the red one it will open a root terminal, type

passwd

(hit enter)

set your root password.

Now when your printer asks for username and password

root
and-your-new-password

BT keyboard works same as in maemo, you can access control panel from taskbar

And yes the connection manager always does that, it does connect though
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Pengiunbait. After today and my 9th reinstall since OS2008 came out (yes i'm counting, has to with lockups of the UI and lost widget graphics) I desperately need a stable UI. Some questions to set expectations.

1. Which do you prefer from boot or from icon launch method?
2. How hard would it be to use the rest of the mmc's as /home (yes I know I'd need to format ext2/3)
3. Do Debian arm debs install?
4. Can I use/install/other maemo built apps (like xmms)

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
The Nokia OS installs in a 256MB Area of Flash memory.

KDE tarball compressed is 322MB round about, and uncompressed 975MB or more. So you can see this will not fit in flash memory with the Nokia OS.

So KDE is available to be installed two ways

Option #1
Create a minimum 1.5GB ext2 partition on SD card and copy OS from flash onto ext2 partition. Then un-tar kde on top of that.

Option #2
copy all the debs and tarball to SD card can install.
The DEB install creates a 1.2GB partition in a file on your SD card. It will format the file as an ext2 partition and mount it as /usr/local
Then the debs will untar the files and setup KDE.

Does this clear up your confusion?
Yes, Sir. THanks it does.

The "split" I was confused about was actually just for one or the other of the SD card positions :-).

Once this thing gets through downloading maps I'll give it a try.

Thanks very much!
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Pengiunbait. After today and my 9th reinstall since OS2008 came out (yes i'm counting, has to with lockups of the UI and lost widget graphics) I desperately need a stable UI. Some questions to set expectations.

1. Which do you prefer from boot or from icon launch method?
2. How hard would it be to use the rest of the mmc's as /home (yes I know I'd need to format ext2/3)
3. Do Debian arm debs install?
4. Can I use/install/other maemo built apps (like xmms)

I can answer #4 with a YES Any maemo app that can be run from the command line can be run in KDE. I've set up desktop shortcuts for all my favorite Maemo apps (eg: FBreader, SDict Viewer, ScummVM etc...) I know that XMMS, Kagu, Canola and Media Player all work as well.

If you want to set up a shortcut to the desktop: Open Konquerer -> /home/user/desktop -> Menu -> Edit -> Create New -> Link to application -> Tap on the icon to select an icon; give it a name - > Tap on the Application Tab and type in the Command that you used in Xterm to launch the application (eg: for XMMS it's simply xmms or for FOTAQ in scummVM it's usr/games/scummvm -f queen).

You can also set up a shortcut link to the system tray by doing a very similar set of steps: System tray menu -> panel menu ->Add Applet to Panel -> non-KDE application launcher -> fill in the blanks using the same method as above except here you type the xterm command in the Executable space. ** Be careful setting up shortcuts in the system tray though - deleting them is tricky because they all just show up as "Non-KDE" in the list of applets to delete. I accidently deleted my WiFi applet this way.**

@PB, you need a "on my todo list" option ;-)

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Then you will be very happily surprised, I am not saying its superfast or anything, but its very useable. Also KDE installs on SD card, and a little in flash, mostly printing services about 20MB
Indeed Sir, I *AM* quite happily surprised!

Installed it this afternoon and it took me less time than what was written up by about half or better.

Going to be playing with this but it sure is a major improvement for the n800 in a LOT of areas!

That 16G card may come sooner than I expected :-).

Going to see if I can transfer stuff from ~/.kde/share/apps over so kontact (etc) has what my desktop does and then I can leave the palm at home .

Quite exciting, THANK YOU SIR! :-).

KDE on a portable that doesn't require a truck to move :-) and in my shirtpocket, just too TOO COOL :-).

Happy Dance(TM)!
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by wv9k View Post
Indeed Sir, I *AM* quite happily surprised!

Installed it this afternoon and it took me less time than what was written up by about half or better.

Going to be playing with this but it sure is a major improvement for the n800 in a LOT of areas!

That 16G card may come sooner than I expected :-).

Going to see if I can transfer stuff from ~/.kde/share/apps over so kontact (etc) has what my desktop does and then I can leave the palm at home .

Quite exciting, THANK YOU SIR! :-).

KDE on a portable that doesn't require a truck to move :-) and in my shirtpocket, just too TOO COOL :-).

Happy Dance(TM)!

Or you could use Kitchensync via syncML Check it out under utilities, let me know if its working?

Nobody seems to have found that yet, it has obex bt sync also and more

I know that feeeling about the Happy Dance, I really cant wait to get this on an n810 also
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Tried to install it this afternoon once the 8GB card came in the mail. No luck. All the file sizes checked out, and the first file installed correctly, but then the kde deb errored out after a couple of seconds. This is the xterm output BTW:

Code:
Nokia-N800-50-2:/media/mmc2# dpkg -i kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `kde-mmc2' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
20396 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kde-mmc2 3.5.8-PB2 (using kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kde-mmc2 ...
dpkg: error processing kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/bzip2', which is also in package bzip2
rm: cannot remove '/etc/nss_mdns.conf': No such file or directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
Nokia-N800-50-2:/media/mmc2# Nokia-N800-50-2:/media/mmc2# dpkg -i kde-3.5.8-mmc2.deb
-sh: Nokia-N800-50-2:/media/mmc2#: not found
Problem is that apt is now fubar and I need to reimage.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
@drizek

just curious (and since you are talking about a re-flash anyway.) if you go in from the xterm and run

apt-get -f install

Is this able to fix your apt? 90% of the time it does, and should be tried first... It also may correct something that application manager did that got you in trouble in the first place. Then again .. if you already tried this tell me to go away and I will... quietly at best

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35