Active Topics

Thanks Fanoush,

The instructions you gave are kind of advance for novices like myself and others who are here because we want to learn more about Linux as a hobby, not as a career. It's great that you outline the steps required shown below, but can anyone point us to the more detailed (step by step) version? I don't mean to be ignorant, but I tried following some of the steps, and did searches, but still could not find simple instructions for beginners.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

So the steps to do it are:

1. extract .bin image via linux flasher, copy zImage, initfs.jffs2, rootfs.jffs2 to mmc
2. clone current system to mmc and boot it
3. flash rootfs, kernel and initfs from mmc to internal flash (preferably in that order and with no reboot in the middle). Without usb cable you have exactly 1 try for kernel/initfs pair :-)

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by rwijnhov View Post
Hi all,

Is it possible to update the firmware of the n810 without the usb cable? I lost my cable. I have downloaded the .bin file.

grt,
Ruben
I think you can use a cheap cable for replacement. For example, I just use the cable supplied for all-in-one USB reader and it works great with the nokia N800!

Yes there are many suppliers of Micro A to USB A Male cables. For those in the US looking for suppliers you might consider:

http://www.cablesunlimited.com/produ...o=USB-1260-03M

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.a...21&C=199&S=907

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mleeds View Post
Yes there are many suppliers of Micro A to USB A Male cables.
Those won't work as you need a Micro B to standard A male cable. But these are in fact the most common micro usb cables available today, so you should find a replacement. They are used whenever a micro-usb equipped device is to be connected to a PC.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by litesabre View Post
It's great that you outline the steps required shown below, but can anyone point us to the more detailed (step by step) version? I don't mean to be ignorant, but I tried following some of the steps, and did searches, but still could not find simple instructions for beginners.
Well in that case getting the cable might be better. It could be handy.

As for flashing search this forum for kernel flasher or kernel_flash, initfs flasher or initfs_flash, mkfs.jffs2, flash_eraseall, nandwrite.

Flashing rootfs is described at the end of this post
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...3348#post33348

If it sounds too complex then better get the cable. I'm intentionally not giving you exact steps. It is a bit dangerous so either you can figure it out or it is too dangerous for you. If you think you know how to do it but are not completely sure, post it here or better make wiki page out of it here and I will correct it if something is wrong.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.