Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by cmdowns
So exactly how fast do I need to be traveling?
The example was meant to draw a graphic image on the reader's mind. I have no knowledge of any such technique that would work to avoid a toll, and I would heartily recommend against experimentation in that regard.

The Following User Says Thank You to briand For This Useful Post:
Two questions:
Can someone post the contents of .profile please?
Do any/many applications add to the path on installation?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I think it might be worth mentioning here that, unless you've installed a bash interpreter on your tablet, you normally end up running busybox--which doesn't run .profile in your home directory. If you create one and attempt to use it, it will be ignored.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I think it might be worth mentioning here that, unless you've installed a bash interpreter on your tablet, you normally end up running busybox--which doesn't run .profile in your home directory. If you create one and attempt to use it, it will be ignored.
Well I overwrote my .profile (instead of appending as I should have done) and now I get an error when opening xTerm which stems from the statement that is in .profile. So I'm pretty sure at least xTerm is looking at it. But my knowledge is limited so I may have misunderstood your comment.

I was trying to add a folder called Scripts so that I could keep all home writtem scripts in one location. I used > instead of >> duh!

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
if you are unsure about using the command line maybe a filemanager like mc can help you. You can copy, edit, extract files in a very simple way. Just 'apt-get install mc' if you are using debian, ubuntu or your nit to install mc. Then you can start it with mc or mcedit (just the editor).

The Following User Says Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Interesting, it's been my understanding that busybox on the tablets ignored .profile ...I'll need to play with that later and see for myself again!

If you have limited knowledge, I appear to have limited experience with the topic. :P

Anyway.. as for your problem right now.. did you have SSH installed as a service? You could try maybe logging in as root user to go in and rename the .profile so that it doesn't get run. (cd /home/user; mv .profile .profile.bak)

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
if you are unsure about using the command line maybe a filemanager like mc can help you. You can copy, edit, extract files in a very simple way. Just 'apt-get install mc' if you are using debian, ubuntu or your nit to install mc. Then you can start it with mc or mcedit (just the editor).
That would be great except they were pointing out that they can't even get a CLI going with xterm.. mc won't be available since the CLI won't kick in due to the error in the .profile. It'll be necessary, now, to log in as the root to fix the user's .profile.

That would be great except they were pointing out that they can't even get a CLI going with xterm.. mc won't be available since the CLI won't kick in due to the error in the .profile. It'll be necessary, now, to log in as the root to fix the user's .profile.
this way just a hint to avoid such accidents

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
this way just a hint to avoid such accidents
So... your solution is, 'don't make mistakes?'

So... your solution is, 'don't make mistakes?'
no, but 'don't make the same mistake twice' (if you somehow manage to log in )