Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
I have done this, and it does improve performance. However I can still get a half word or so of lag (typing at about 40wpm).

I have since flashed back to OS2007 (because of I couldnt' type with the BT keyboard, or USB keyboard see bug 3532 https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3532 ). And it is quite nice to _not_ have the lag.

Something is broken in OS2008 with keyboard input.

Craig...
I've upgraded recently, including Feature Upgrade 1. With my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard I do not have such problems. It works equally well as with OS 2007 - minimal lag (does not matter at all), no loss of characters. Thus, at least in this case the OS 2008 bluetooth stack works well.

For those who have the lag problem with the USB keyboard I had this very same problem when typing on the builted in keyboard.

I also had this problem after it was taken out of the screen lock mode using the keyboard. This annoyed me so much I sent my first N810 back. There was also a lag on the touch screen. When I got a replacement it had the same problem but less with the touch screen.
With Diablo installed this happened the most.
After playing around for a while I discovered that it was the desktop (home) applications that I were running. The one the affected it the most was Home WiFi signal.
CPU usage and Disk Free Size also slowed down the typing on the internet search bar. I closed all these apps anf just left Home IP and this problem went away. Now except for the 8GB memory limitation I love the N810 ( I am working on the limited memory issue now).

I also have a n800 and some of the desktop alpps were slowing it down also . To test this if you are running personal menu you can see how fast the menu pops up after you touch the Icon. With these alps running on my tablets it gets slower and slower.
Even more so after the screen is unlocked by the keyboard instead ot the switch on top.

I decided to test a mini ViewSonic keyboard while I was writing this. There was no lag with this keyboard with the home applications turned off. I have a bluetooth keyboard and I will test it when I find it.

To test the lag time after typing many characters on the screen hold down the delet key to see how fast they are deleted. When the lag is present there will be delays as the characters are being deleted from notes.

N800 with 48GB of SD and N810 with 8GB Mini SD

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to craves1 For This Useful Post:
is there anyway to mod the flexible roll keyboard into a bluetooth one for cheap? flexible rollable bluetooth keyboards cost more than $100... I wonder if it's possible to take the innards of a bluetooth keyboard and shove them into that little rubber box on the end of those flexible keyboards...

Based on this thread, I've experimented with removing panel applets and applets on the desktop, and the keyboard does indeed seem to lag less. It's not completely gone though, I'm a very quick typist, and I can still get it to lag on some words. The CPU usage while typing is also quite high (this is on a USB keyboard, BTW, though I think the lag issue with bluetooth keyboards is the same). Is OS2007 really a lot better in terms of keyboard lag? Perhaps that might push me towards setting up a dual-boot OS2008/07 system. Well, it's a thought anyway.

You know, now that I'm actually typing this post on my n810, the lag doesn't seem very bad at all, except for the enter key outputting two blank lines, that is.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I'd be willing to bet that the problem relates to the keyboard driver. It may relate to the typing aids and perhaps to the handling of multiple keyboard sources -- screen, slide down and BT. File transfers using BT seems to perform very well which implies this isn't a BT issue. Sounds very fixable to me.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

I also think that it is likely a driver issue. I remember reading a forum post somewhere about a 770 owner with a bt keyboard finding that the keyboard was laggy when moved to an N800. Exactly the same keyboard hardware, just different software. Everything's a software issue these days, isn't it?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
On another thread, someone mentioned hildon-input-method taking up 55% of CPU time during typing. Is this program's source code released as part of Maemo? Perhaps I could grab the code and try optimizing it, because it seems to be a common link in both bluetooth and usb typing.
Hmm. So typing actually drains the battery power a lot?

There is a small annoying bug that during typing suddenly the keyboard hangs and it will produce several characters after the lag. If you continued typing this means you need to erase more. If you're a cunned N810 typewriter that is a double edged sword.