Notices

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
It has a problem, though. I'm unable to enter any symbol or number. The FN key doesn't work inside the nx desktop.
I figured it out. If you press just the Fn key it is equal to ALT. To enter a number or a typical Fn key HOLD DOWN Fn + key i.e. hold Down Fn + Q to enter in a 1. Shift works the same way.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Hello All.
I am trying to access my UBUNTU 8.10 using PYRDESKTOP 1.5

this is working fine with windows vista ultimate.
I don't like VNC because it is too slow.
I LOVE pYrdesktop because it logs u out and resize you're desktop so that it fits on my N810's screen.

please help.
am thinkin something needs to be installed on ubuntu so pyrdesktop could communicate with my PC.

i read something about nomachine....but where is the app for my N810?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Hello All.
I am trying to access my UBUNTU 8.10 using PYRDESKTOP 1.5
not possible. rdesktop is for remote desktop (terminal services) only. This is a feature baked into windows (and quite possibly the greatest hing about using windows)

Your only option with ubuntu is VNC.

I did once read you could possibly set up a way to log into the X server, but I don't think you can log into your currently running desktop that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to pomokey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
You can TRY something like Terminal Server for Linux, but I don't know if it will work. There are a couple other solutions that attempt to solve the same problem, just not sure what they are.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
You are looking for "xrdp". I have it installed on a Ubuntu 8.04 system, it seems to work well enough, but I have never used it with pyRdesktop to any degree. Might be worth a shot though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jthiemann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
After playing a bit with getting xrdp set up under Ubuntu 8.10, I've created a script that SHOULD work. I basically went through all the steps and figured out how to get it working, THEN created the script. So, I'm not sure if the script preforms all the actions correctly, and I haven't tested it, but I believe it will work. Just run these commands on your linux box:
Code:
wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/46230/xrdpsetup.sh
chmod +x xrdpsetup.sh
./xrdpsetup.sh
And reboot, as the script tells you. Then, you should be able to RDP into your linux box. xrdp does seem to work fine with pyrdesktop.

Originally Posted by jthiemann View Post
You are looking for "xrdp". I have it installed on a Ubuntu 8.04 system, it seems to work well enough, but I have never used it with pyRdesktop to any degree. Might be worth a shot though.
wow! I did not know that this existed. I will definitely have to mess around with it.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
ok....after a second reboot.....my system was ok.
rdesktop logs into something......all i get is a dark screen.
ubuntu also doesn't log out.

It amazes me why Symantec with their PCAnywhere never offered support. For this or for the Symbian OS.

you can also use logmein.com which is free and very good

Eric