On GeneralAntilles' request, I have spent some time designing the lite version of the maemo.org site. The basic layout can be seen here:

http://fms.komkon.org/MaemoMain.html

Please note that it is layout only (not much graphics) and it includes all pages on one page. Should work very well on a tablet or an S60 phone. Still work in progress though.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Just had a quick look, and liked it, except on my laptop the brown/pink font colour is a bit hard to read on the white background. A little bit darker I'd prefer. On NIT it looks great.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by fms View Post
On GeneralAntilles' request, I have spent some time designing the lite version of the maemo.org site. The basic layout can be seen here:

http://fms.komkon.org/MaemoMain.html

Please note that it is layout only (not much graphics) and it includes all pages on one page. Should work very well on a tablet or an S60 phone. Still work in progress though.
Looks good I just had one question I though a few months ago a lot of people didn't like having 2 layouts for one website because everyone said a well designed website didn't need a lite version. Have we finally decided that the full web on the NIT isn't really all that full? Don't get me wrong I love both ideas and I love the idea of a lite version. I agree that its needed thats why I did the minimalistic theme for itT and I am working on lite/tablets version of all my sites.

I was just wondering if the community is shifting its view, and we are going to start making tablet version websites?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
Have we finally decided that the full web on the NIT isn't really all that full?
No.

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I was just wondering if the community is shifting its view, and we are going to start making tablet version websites?
No.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
So why 2 maemo.org layouts why not one that just runs well on tablets?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

@Bundyo: I really like the first mockup (even if I still have to test it on the tablet), really. Totally my tastes.

But you should rework your HTML. To test the HTML of a website, I launch Firefox and use View -> no style to see the page without the CSS. If the website is still readable and you can still use it, it's ok (see the actual maemo.org for example).

I keep in mind that it's only a mockup, but give it a try and you'll see how easier it is to build a clear CSS.

Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by Boke View Post
But you should rework your HTML. To test the HTML of a website, I launch Firefox and use View -> no style to see the page without the CSS. If the website is still readable and you can still use it, it's ok (see the actual maemo.org for example).
A very good point, but I don't think Bundyo should worry too much about it for the mockup. It'll likely need a bit of work to mesh with Midgard, so the HTML can be cleaned up then.

I'm more worried about style and layout.

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
I like it for the most part, nice and fresh.

The only thing that bothers me (and only slightly) are the colors. It's a bit too bright for the most part (for my tastes at least).

If you're going to keep the colors, at least make the text a bit darker... add some contrast

Otherwise, I don't mind the js, infact I like it. It's effective, not slow at all; an efficient way to organize all that navigation (we can argue back and forth all day on this, but in my opinion it works)

Personal verdict: 87%

Originally Posted by jzencovich View Post
Otherwise, I don't mind the js, infact I like it. It's effective, not slow at all; an efficient way to organize all that navigation (we can argue back and forth all day on this, but in my opinion it works)
Have you tried it on the tablet? Or on a slow computer? JS for the sake of JS is a bad plan.

If I could add something, I would try to avoid any behavior based on the "mouse over" event, since the tablet doesn't handle it (yet).

I just took a look at it on the tablet and it looks really awesome, and quick.
Good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Boke For This Useful Post:

Tags
design, html, maemo.org, mock-up