Please fix that useless summary. . . .

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Please fix that useless summary. . . .
Suggest one yourself

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Suggest one yourself
Well, that, or we could just close it as INVALID for being uselessly generic. Might as well file a bug to 'Make it fast'. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-10-06 at 21:18.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Well, that, or we couldd just close it as INVALID for being uselessly generic. Might as well file a bug to 'Make it fast'. . . .
You really are a sanctimonious prick, aren't you? I thought you were just playing one, but no...

I believe there are many possible improvements that can be asked for before booting time, they were listed here on itt, they were discussed throughoutly and maybe we will see some result/answer in the near future (Java support, 3D acceleration for example or support to the built-in image accelerator), but booting time is not that bad afterall and if waiting 33 seconds gives me a stable and working device I can live with that.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
There are people also inside our organization pointing to this 5s holy grail. I will say here what i said internally (not that my word is any authoritative, but I'll still say it :-) ).

There is certainly a point in making the device to boot faster, but look who's talking about it. Intel. Why? Because their current HW sucks in terms of power management, so you _are_ expected to switch it on and off continuously, then of course it is important to not wait forever for X to show up.

Removing modules and going for a single kernel binary? Yeah, right!
This for example would mean that we should start shipping different kernels for n800 and n810. But what is more important, we would have he problem of debugging the thing (you don't want to use in R&D something that is not shipped to production) and go back to the pain experienced till now.

In this sense Fremantle is a huge improvement since we are enforcing drivers to be modular and this allows the creation and usage of tools like the pm-tester i posted about.

If energies have to be put into making the device more efficient, they should be focused on stability, so that the user doesn't have to actually powercycle.

Since 770 we were supposed to be always on, then it became always on, always connected. I see no point in following something that we have obsoleted more than 3 years ago.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
In this sense Fremantle is a huge improvement since we are enforcing drivers to be modular and this allows the creation and usage of tools like the pm-tester i posted about.

If energies have to be put into making the device more efficient, they should be focused on stability, so that the user doesn't have to actually powercycle.

Since 770 we were supposed to be always on, then it became always on, always connected. I see no point in following something that we have obsoleted more than 3 years ago.
I fully agree with the emphasis on power efficiency and no need for unnecessary rebooting, but since you're talking to existing userbase... will Fremantle even be made available for the current N8*0 hardware?

It'd be nice if Nokia had learned something from the (admittely test case) N770 debacle. With key components still under lock and key I'm afraid there won't be sufficient N8*0 community to keep the N8-generation running Maemo if Nokia diverts all resources to Fremantle (Maemo 5) and the planned N9-series.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
will Fremantle even be made available for the current N8*0 hardware?
As has been said many times before, it's still unknown. The reality is that current hardware simply may not be able to handle it, but I'm sure Nokia will have a real answer when we're actually close to some sort of alpha-level release of the SDK.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
It'd be nice if Nokia had learned something from the (admittely test case) N770 debacle. With key components still under lock and key I'm afraid there won't be sufficient N8*0 community to keep the N8-generation running Maemo if Nokia diverts all resources to Fremantle (Maemo 5) and the planned N9-series.
Well, the WiFi driver is open now, so there's not really anything un-solvable holding us to a specific kernel version anymore. . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Well, that, or we couldd just close it as INVALID for being uselessly generic. Might as well file a bug to 'Make it fast'. . . .
What kind of answer is that?
There is a goal, boot in 5 seconds, and the summary simply reflects that. I don't know any better how to describe it.
If you don't like the current summary, please suggest one and that will be.
If you think that goal is worth or not, that is a completely different matter, that you can argue at will.

Tags
boot