Notices

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Stardict is actually otherwise better, but formatting is pretty bad. Sdict wiki files which i've seen are quite old and thus smaller than the current dump of the enwiki.
Yes, this is why I liked Mokopedia, but it doesn't seem to be easy to get working. Wikipedia Dump Reader however is easy to set up, and has an up2date database. OTOH, it 1) has considerable overhead 2) it does show some unimportant details most users would rather not see (like the red metadata texts) 3) it does not allow one to pick their own reader program. Still, because its easy to set up and up2date I recommend it.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Bristol, UK
Thanks mikkov.
What other format could I format the card to besides FAT32 and still have it work?

ext2 or ext3 are probably only realistic ones. But then you can't use your card from windows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
ext2 or ext3 are probably only realistic ones. But then you can't use your card from windows.
You can, with a Ext2/Ext3 driver for Windows. Google for 'em, there are many, even with read/write support.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Bristol, UK
I'll try Ext2/3 for Mac and see how I go.
Thanks, folks.

You can also download the full (school version) wikipedia onto one your cards - http://www.soschildrensvillages.org....or-schools.htm, I like this method better since I can use the web browser.

The Following User Says Thank You to superstar For This Useful Post:
A later version of the Wikipedia for schools is also available here:
http://www.soschildrensvillages.org....or-schools.htm

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
So if my conversion is right, that works out to be almost 3 gb for the most up to date, compressed file. Has anyone downloaded this yet, how large will the files be after being uncompressed?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
If you're not looking for the full updated Wikipedia dataset, you can just use StarDict with a few downloaded reference files: I run the Britannica Concise encyclopaedia, the CIA World Fact Book, and a basic dictionary. I also have a Eng-Japanese dictionary installed. There are lots more to choose from. All in all, it's compact, easy to set up, and works well enough when I'm off-line, even if the files are a few years out of date.

David...

I have visited http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/ and am currently downloading enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2. It's 4.1 GB, so hopefully I can open the bz2 file and delete a few sections that I'm not interested in before copying it onto my 4 GB SD card.