Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yes, consider me interested into that as well.

JaikuSpot (S60) costs 15 EUR.

WMWifiRouter (Windows Mobile) costs 23 EUR.

They won't be nice to the battery of your cell because you use both 3G and WiFi. They both can only do ad-hoc. They only do unencrypted and WEP. No WPA whatsoever.

FWIW, Wayfinder updates work.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7093705543.html

I think you'd be better using this. I've already been exploring this as an option, and so far it's been quite nice.
I think I mentioned elsewhere that I use a Cradlepoint PHS with EVDO modem. You can't buy the above device yet but probably soon, and it has integrated 3G (instead of an external modem - upside is it is smaller and runs longer, downside is that you can't change carriers).

Evdoinfo / Evdoforums has good coverage of EVDO (and 3G in general)

The Novatel Mifi (the device in the link above) thread:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread11008.html

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
The Novatel Mifi (the device in the link above) thread:

http://www.evdoforums.com/thread11008.html
Someone just mentioned the mifi in a different thread and so I did a search and really didn't find much. Am I the only one who is pretty pumped about it?

I'm hugely pumped. The question though is how long it'll be before Novatel can get someone to bite on this.

And PS: To the OP who mentioned about the mifi being locked to a single carrier, the sucker is powered by Linux, which means it'll take about 2 minutes for a good Linux nerd to figure out how to unlock it, or else reflash it with a new IOS that allows carrier portability.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Re: Mifi

According to this article, Sprint (in the US) will have it in 2Q 2009.

I was just thinking it was about time for me to buy a Cradlepoint Router... but 2Q might be close enough for me to wait to see if Verizon or AT&T gets the Mifi as well (because then I can get work to buy it and pay the monthly fee on it).

johnkzin: lol. Sneaky.

But yeah, that's good news. Hopefully the data plan on that is good, otherwise it'll just be a waste of time.

According to this, Verizon _will_ be getting it as well. But no release date given. (it does have a VERY brief user manual though, and appears to require windows or mac for doing the device setup via the Verizon management software)

If Maemo and Google Voice play together really nicely, then the mifi could (effectively) turn your N810 into a mobile phone, if you're so inclined. I'm tempted to start working with Google Voice on my N810 (which I haven't used since Sept/Oct when I got my G1), just to see how well that all comes together.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
According to this, Verizon _will_ be getting it as well. But no release date given. (it does have a VERY brief user manual though, and appears to require windows or mac for doing the device setup via the Verizon management software)
My concern is that VZW throttles the throughput speed. They currently limit BT tethering on their EVDO phones to 480kbps.

The apt comparison here isn't what they do with BT tethering, but what they do with their data cards. Do they throttle their USB and Express-Card devices to some particular speed? And if so, what speed?

You're complaining about 480kbps? Pfft. My DSL connection isn't much faster than that. Besides, when you're on the go you can't expect blazing speed across your wan connection. So 480kbps is fine with me. What I'm most concerned with is the bandwidth cap. While 480kbps isn't a problem, a limit of 5-10 gigs would kill me, because I could hit that in a few days.

EDIT: Ooo. The MiFi has a swappable battery. Hmm. That could hold some interesting potential. You can also plug it into a power source and recharge on the go. Nice. Now the only other question I have is how long it'll take before someone figures out how to unlock this so we can go anywhere with it.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2009-03-31 at 16:43.