Notices

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Hmm, what you have covers it mostly. Though for the oversized image, can you keep into account aspect ratio? It would come in handy if the image is horizontal versus vertical.
Sure, already you can control aspect (keep, ignore, crop), brightness/contrast, and compression quality. I did consider rotation, too, but on tablets I don't think it's an issue so dropped it for now. My current 'todo' for the images backend is watermark, flip/mirror and grayscale.

Oh I have an idea. Will this have to be done over USB? If so, maybe have it so you could do it over SSH. Or some other method like outputting to a folder so a user could send it over themself over SCP. I know that not everything will work (like auto-detect).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-04-13 at 18:26.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Oh I have an idea. Will this have to be done over USB? If so, maybe have it so you could do it over SSH. Or some other method like outputting to a folder so a user could send it over themself over SCP.
By default it outputs to a folder. If you do 'detect' it will try to find the mounted device (or SD card). SSH on linux is easy (through gnomevfs or kioslaves), but I have no idea how to do kioslaves style ssh stuff on Windows or MacOS (except for calling winscp externally which is ugly).

EDIT: Possibly doable on windows and mac via Paramiko (http://www.lag.net/paramiko/ ). I'll get back on this.

For over-the-air conversions I originally planned to use the same app which would just signal to the instance on the desktop and then just stream/copy it over internally - less overhead than SSH and no background daemon needs to be running on either the tablet or the desktop. We'll see about that one.

Last edited by attila77; 2009-04-13 at 19:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Very interesting! Do you mind listing your app at http://maemo.org/downloads/PC/ as soon as you feel itś ready?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Very interesting! Do you mind listing your app at http://maemo.org/downloads/PC/ as soon as you feel itś ready?
Sure, as soon as I have something close to alpha quality I'll put it up there.

On a side note, can you help me with with regard to where to look or who to ask for the MAC address ranges of different NITs (respond in private if it's "classified" ) ? It would be far more elegant for local network autodetection than portscanning for ssh connection strings.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
- Yes, the dog ate the end of clip. Nothing serious is missing, just the answer to life, the universe and everything.

- It's not ready for prime time yet, if I released it today, it might burn your house down, make your cat explode and drive your girlfriend crazy (not necessarily in that order). Patience.

- Sorry about my squeaky-English, it's my third language, still working on it.
Well, it seems like you have a pretty GOOD handle on it. I like your sense of humor... as you've conveyed (in English!)

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
- Yes, the dog ate the end of clip. Nothing serious is missing, just the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Oh, crap. Did I ruin the surprise?

Seriously, though, this looks great. Can't wait for a release! Hmmm... now I just need to come up with some obscure file type for you to try to implement

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
attila77,

Impressive demo !
You seem to have thought of most things to give a good work flow.

A thought for possible future expansion : ?
Conversion US<>European video standard ?
Conversion Interlaced<>Non-interlaced video ?

Good video editing programs have plugins (of varying quality) for these things,
but if it were possible to integrate such functions with your intuitive general-conversion-interface,
amateur/semi-pro video people would, I think, love it.

Another idea :
When I (in some future) convert LPs, tapes & CDs to computer files, I would like two outputs,
one high quality and one smaller sized for portable use
(unless by that time the smaller size would not be needed).

My N810 has
WLAN MAC address: 00:1D:6E:9B:XX:XX
Bluetooth address: 00:1D:6E:9D:XX:XX

The Following User Says Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
attila77,
A thought for possible future expansion : ?
Conversion US<>European video standard ?
Conversion Interlaced<>Non-interlaced video ?
The de-interlacing option is a nice catch ! US/European I don't quite get - your best bet is NOT to convert frame rates as you can view both on the tablet equally well.

When I (in some future) convert LPs, tapes & CDs to computer files, I would like two outputs,
one high quality and one smaller sized for portable use
(unless by that time the smaller size would not be needed).
I think profiles fit this purpose nicely. And of course I can add a generic 'Desktop computer' as an output device to accomodate higher bitrate profiles.

And, when you mention LP, Tape, I see I don't have direct audio as an input option - another nice catch !

My N810 has WLAN MAC address:
Thanks !

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
US/European I don't quite get - your best bet is NOT to convert frame rates as you can view both on the tablet equally well.
Right !!
But I was thinking that your pgm could be a help for video editing
when you want output > DVD (/VHS).

Your converter looks like a good tool for packaging edited video in any (?) required format.
Low priced video editors are often limited in that respect.

. . . just a thought for future expansion.

( EDIT:
Your Demo looked like a really good framework for a general purpose conversion tool. )

Last edited by KristianW; 2009-04-15 at 20:38.