Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
  1. Open a browser window.
  2. Go to maemo.org.
  3. Log in if not logged in already.
  4. Locate your name near the top right of the page.
  5. Click on your name.
  6. Locate the floaty bar near the top center of the page.
  7. In the floaty bar, click on "Page".
  8. In the menu that opens, click "Edit account".
  9. In the new "Edit account" page that opens, scroll down to locate the "InternetTabletTalk.com" input field.
  10. Open a new browser window.
  11. Go to talk.maemo.org.
  12. Log in if not logged in already.
  13. Locate your talk name near the top right of the page.
  14. Click on your name.
  15. Copy the URL from the address bar of the talk.maemo.org browser window.
  16. Switch back to the maemo.org window.
  17. Paste that URL from step 15 into the "InternetTabletTalk.com" input field you located in step 9.
  18. Scroll to the bottom of the "Edit account" page.
  19. Click the "Save" button.
  20. Scroll to the bottom of the "Publish account details" page that opens.
  21. Click the "Publish" button.
  22. Wait a day or more for the karma calculator to run again for your account and pull in your talk.maemo.org statistics.

And now that the new theme has mostly stabilized, I'll be redoing my screenshots and finally adding this info to the wiki.
So presumably you can register on maemo.org with any name and by following these steps link that username with your ITT name?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
So presumably you can register on maemo.org with any name and by following these steps link that username with your ITT name?
Yes, the names need not match.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Seriously though, is there any prior description of this procedure on the forums or wiki? I'm all for blaming myself--I do it all the time. But if voting for maemo.org community council is based upon statistics that require this linking, that is a huge barrier that'll keep many from the polls.

Originally Posted by lm2 View Post
Seriously though, is there any prior description of this procedure on the forums...
It's been discussed here previously, though I don't know that anyone has done a step-by-step before, and previous discussion has always been brief and buried in threads on other topics.

...or wiki?
It will be in the wiki soon. I'll see to that. I had it mostly ready some time ago, but then realized newstyle would go live in (at that time) a week or so to change everything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I have the same problem, but in reverse, my maemo.org login was already taken on ItT.

Edit: I know you can paste over the ItT link for karma, it's just a bit of dichotomy to have the two separate usernames.
They wouldn't listen they're not listening still, perhaps they never will... -Don Maclean

Maybe I'll cut an ear off or suttin'

Now that you are a happy member of maemo.org feel free to file a bug...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...5&postcount=65

But hey kids, lets all give ourselves fun ranks... and since I have the highest post count and also the karma, I'll be the highest rank. K?

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-07 at 18:06. Reason: Linkage

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Thanks to everyone who responded and help answer questions.

I know it took me several days and lots of digging to figure this out (after voting had already occurred ). It is a bit of a lengthy process.

@sjgadsby
I didn't know that anyone was working on a wiki for this. I was just concerned that with the switch to talk.maemo.org, and the growing pains from that, this might get overlooked. Or, by the time it was addressed, it'd be past the 3 month cut-off for having an account prior to voting. Feel free to drop a link to the wiki here so that other might find it, perhaps a little easier.

Also, I'd like to ask that anyone who felt this was helpful, please post. It would help to keep it active so that more members see it and have a chance to get registered and vote (and take advantage of all the other benefits of maemo.org).

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded and help answer questions.

I know it took me several days and lots of digging to figure this out (after voting had already occurred ). It is a bit of a lengthy process.

@sjgadsby
I didn't know that anyone was working on a wiki for this. I was just concerned that with the switch to talk.maemo.org, and the growing pains from that, this might get overlooked. Or, by the time it was addressed, it'd be past the 3 month cut-off for having an account prior to voting. Feel free to drop a link to the wiki here so that other might find it, perhaps a little easier.

Also, I'd like to ask that anyone who felt this was helpful, please post. It would help to keep it active so that more members see it and have a chance to get registered and vote (and take advantage of all the other benefits of maemo.org).
Dude, I do find this thread useful and your new energy is what is desperately needed around here. I'm sorry for the sarcastic comment. It surprised even me.

I'm also sorry that after 2 plus years this condition still exists. Unfortunately, once I joined there was no way to check without making up another user account, something that is usually frowned upon.

And as I have said many times, everything I know about my N800 I have learned from the good people here @ iTT. Many of them may have also been members of maemo.org but I did not have the time to figure out if the hoops that you had to jump through to be involved with maemo.org were by design because they didn't want regular forum rats involved or that they just didn't care what people thought of their site.

Cookies for those sights are now straightened out so at least you shouldn't have to log-in again every time you visit a maemo.org site >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=163

... qgil started a thread today about some of this >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28800

...so hopefully with the new energy from people like you this might finally get taken care off.

Again I apologize and good luck.

EDIT: I now see that you had already found the thread...

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-07 at 19:59.

I didn't know that anyone was working on a wiki for this. I was just concerned that with the switch to talk.maemo.org, and the growing pains from that, this might get overlooked. Or, by the time it was addressed, it'd be past the 3 month cut-off for having an account prior to voting.
I am going to be adding information to the wiki to help with setting up a maemo.org profile--including linking it with talk. However, even once done, that won't notify people here of the important registration deadline.

Thanks for recognizing that need. Thanks even more for taking action.

Feel free to drop a link to the wiki here so that other might find it, perhaps a little easier.
Will do!

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
5) In particular, scroll down, under Alter Egos, find InternetTabletTalk.com and add a link to your ITT profile page
mine is: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...er.php?u=19801
5a) In the "normal" view of the forums, click on your name in the upper right corner to get to your profile page. Copy the web address from there currently mine is http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=19801 (also no link on minimalistic theme)
*** Can anyone cofirm if this will need to be changed to a talk.maemo.org link? ***
did i miss an answer to the question about the link? mine currently still points to http://www.internettablettalk.com/... - will i need to change it? will it be taken care of automatically? will it stay valid?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
By my count anyone who wants to vote in the next election should register at maemo.org by June at the latest to *hopefully* be eligible to vote.
But wait. If ITt is now talk.maemo.org, at least by right all the "ITt users" from day 1 since this week should acquire the right to vote, at least for longevity (they still would need the karma points).

If this is technically a complicated mission fine. But if the single sign-on would help on this and would be ready on time... In that case what users would need to do is to make sure that their logins are all syced in just one (something sensible to do even without willing to vote).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
community council, election, karma