Active Topics

Wow Defcon was nuts.

@ shin
Okay I still need to look into but in the meantime, PM me if you haven't been able to register and I'll do so personally.

@ Addison
good luck. I hope one of these services hasn't changed since I wrote up the tutorial.

@ ZackMorris
Dialcentral has a drop down menu. Just click the arrow just to the right where it says Grandcentral and select Google Voice.

I'm gonna follow my tutorial (again) soon and see if any services have changed and update anything not clear to new users. Sorry if the current version is confusing (and lengthy).

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
Sorry I am reporting on the progress a little late..

@ linuxeventually - Thanks for your msg.

I managed to complete the GV registration using a Gizmo call in number I purchased from them for $12.. But when I read that Gizmo is limiting the call duration to 3 mins I felt like I shouldnt have done that..

Perhaps ipkall is another option to look at, as I am still not able to get the Sipgate number to work.. even after completing the GV setup..

On Sipgate, I can see my client active(linphone/wengo/N810 sipclient) through the settings screen.. Inspite of that I am not able to call the Sipgate number through my phone and GV registration is also not going through...

Did anyone have similar issues..I would be interested to know how you fixed the problem and have the sipgate number working

- Shin

where do you enter the SIPgate info on the N810 because section of the instrctions became a little cloudy.

If anyone read this blog about the google voice workaround here http://www.fromthefencepost.com/2009...ice-and-gizmo/ the information is insightful. I followed the instructions to a tee and whats seems to be faulty with my go around is with entering my info in the "Internet call" section. I put in my username and password i put in proxy01.... where needed I checked what needed to be checked and went to the advanced settings and changed transport to udp. I guess my point is where did I go wrong? My gogle voice account as a legitimate landline that it forwards to so could that be the reason? I am clearly not an expert but I can learn in lamens terms. Some1 show me the light

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Reggie

I had to open port 5060 on my router before it would work using the internet call app. Once I did that, it worked just fine. I also had to go tools, settings and change receive calls to all.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2009-08-12 at 01:40.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Reggie

I had to open port 5060 on my router before it would work using the internet call app. Once I did that, it worked just fine. I also had to go tools, settings and change receive calls to all.
how do you open the port in the router?

Depends on your router.

On my Linksys router, I type http://192.168.1.1 into my browser's URL bar, click on "Applications & Gaming", check to see that I'm in the "Port Forwarding" tab and add the required port(s) like:

http://portforward.com may help for your specific router (also can verify that port is "open"), or you can ask on this forum (provided you list your specific router model - brand, model/series and version)

I get asked this question a lot (how do I forward my ports?), if anyone has a better explanation please follow up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

A few posts back Reggie asked where to enter the sipgate info into the N8X0 tablet, and the answer is you don't (using this guide), those instructions are to be completed on a desktop/laptop computer. However I would like to note, that in a pinch one can use Fring instead of linphone. Simply download the .deb installer and register with Fring when it asks. Then "subscribe" to SIP and enter your SIPgate account username, password, select Other as the proxy provider and enter sipgate.com as the proxy address. I find the audio quality to be crappy but like I said it'll work in a pinch.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2009-08-12 at 04:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just a note. As an existing Canadian user of GrandCentral, Google Voice let me upgrade to GV without an American phone number.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
can i have some clarification? can an overseas landline call my google voice number here in the states? you say the landline must be in the same city as my gv area code? if this is true it makes gv pretty useless for me.

eg friend in australia calls my google voice number - will it have problems forwarding to my phone here in the states

Yes an overseas landline can call your GV # in the States. But your overseas landline will be paying long distance costs. And GV depending on what country will charge you their rates (while it was in earlier beta, calls to other countries were free).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice, gtalk2voip, linphone, sipgate, voip