Active Topics

Poll: Do you think N900 will keep #1 bestseller in unlocked phones > $149
Poll Options
Do you think N900 will keep #1 bestseller in unlocked phones > $149

N900 on Amazon.com sells unlocked for:

Price: $588 [s]($649)[/s]

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N900-Com.../dp/B002OB49SW

Maybe this price made it attractive and a bestseller?
The picture on Amazon for N900 is not the best one, doesn't show much in the UI.
Attached Images

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
I hope not, since I'll have to use T-mobile's 3G network too. I don't want the AT&T situation where you can barely get EDGE speeds on 3G in some cities because the concentration of iPhone data users are just pulverizing the network.
Interestingly, I just heard the IT guys at the school where I work say something similar; their wireless network has crumbled under the load of students using their iPhones on the network... You can probably guess why I was talking to them.

I guess the iPhone is doing what needs to be done here, though. Pushing the infrastructure into the 21st century, kicking and screaming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
If you have seen the Palm CEO on engadget show, he said it is important to focus (and have a direction).
Nokia has shown less focus and too much let's try and see... which is not good. For instance a Maemo phone could be done in 6 months after N810 was out, with kind of the same interface, but having telephony. They instead bought Symbian and forgot about Maemo until Symbian did NOT prove. Maybe too late in the competition with iPhone, Nokia looked again at Maemo. But even now the device is like a bastard for Nokia, N900 looks like an orphan, no carriers for it, no fight to get operators, no fight to show it to the world, no internet ads, no marketing, no TV commercials... Again, Nokia does not focus to promote this device like Apple did with iPhone, to create stories about it, to create a good light about it, to keep the device on the news... And yes, Apple is very, very focused, naming all its devices the same, creating a major brand "iPhone"...

Why Nokia does not focus?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Architengi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
Why Nokia does not focus?
How can you cater to close to half the market by focusing on something narrow? Not gonna happen.

Also seems like the N900 is selling incredibly well even without advertising. Why waste your money?

Although I'm sure we'll see some ads when stores finally have it on the shelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to livefreeordie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
For instance a Maemo phone could be done in 6 months after N810 was out, with kind of the same interface, but having telephony.
so then one could have os 2008 with phonecalls.....

what's the point? i see more point renewing the ui and bringing the cellphone capabilities with signifigantly improved ui and hardware so there is bigger update. and step 4 out of 5 needs big updates when comparing step 3 n810 vs iphone...

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
This is not bad for a phone that has just been announced and is not even available. The blogging and vlogging scene apparently has a great impact on marketing these days, and Nokia knows how to put this to use.

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
How can you cater to close to half the market by focusing on something narrow? Not gonna happen.

Also seems like the N900 is selling incredibly well even without advertising. Why waste your money?

Although I'm sure we'll see some ads when stores finally have it on the shelf.
If you will find statistics from AT&T (the only operator having iPhone) I bet more than 70% of the smartphones bought in last 2 years are iPhone - just to give you an idea that with focus you can have more then half of the market. With one product that excels for ALL (business - office users, music - media users, gamers, etc) you can have more than with N95, 5800, N97, E71, N900 all together.

It seems N900 is in better shape than any other Nokia device, compared to N95 or E71 no question because those are only 320 resolution instead of 800, and they are not touch, and compared to 5800, that is mostly a music and location device, no business on it, compared to N97, they are closer but N900 still excels. Conclusion is N900 is the Nokia flagship device, and only NOW we can start comparison with iPhone.

But Nokia to keep this device, which come out so late, 3 years after first iPhone and N800, to keep it as an underdog, as an orphan, it is lack of marketing and market sense, IMO. This device should have come out with a NAME not another number, and to be the emblem of Nokia, and to release other Maemo devices on the same brand-NAME. IMHO Nokia does not understand masses are confused by these numbers, they want unity and ONE device, updated as design and form factor every 3 or 6 months, under the same name (with a small suffix like X, or 3G, or MINI, etc), to make it simple. And Nokia needs to advertise THAT NAME. Not a number, a number cannot be even reserved as a copyright. Maemo is not a simple and catchy name, at least not for English speaking users which don't know how to use properly the latin alphabet and need instructions on pronunciation and spelling for every new word.

Nokia needs more focus on the Maemo devices and a name for them.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Uh, N900, like all Nokia device names, are copyrighted and patented. And your view of the Nokia situation sounds US centric, but ignores the fact Nokia sells HALF of all the phones made, and 2 of every 5 smartphones sold. Facts say high end products get designated with numbers, and low end get letters, as in Honda Accord vs. BMW M3.

And the N95? If you recall, it outsold the iPhone. Nokia SEEMS confused, but it isn't them, but us. (though not me. I get the vision)

I would like to see really stylisch ads on tv for the n900. Everyone has to know that this is the perfect phone/mobile computer.

So, look at this, amazon.de (Germany) lists topsellers above 500€, there is: 1. N900 ... 2. iPhone :P

Haha ^^
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Rotkaeqpchen For This Useful Post: