Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
i know next to nothing about electricity, but would this be possible: having thin wires connected to the surface where the battery connects to the device - to those wires could a second battery be connected (even if only by holding it together) for the short while the almost dead battery gets removed and a third battery gets inserted. alternatively one could try to slide the second battery in place and then quickly remove the wires.
Good idea, except how about using conductive paint that also glows in the dark. Then you can find you N900 in the dark.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
Good idea, except how about using conductive paint that also glows in the dark. Then you can find you N900 in the dark.
i would be scared from a glowing ghost n900 in the dark... O.o

If you make the wires thin enough, they will glow, but only for a short time.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
/me thinks hibernation is cool :-)
That's also the easiest way since involves no hardware modding.
Not that I have any idea how to start though...

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Why wouldn't this work? It works with the N810.

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...gers/dc-8?r=-1

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm hoping #1 works. That'll open up so many simpler options:
- external charger\reserve battery packs
- temporary power for battery swaps

Just found this on JR.com, it has a bigger lith-ion rechargeable battery built in, so even more juice for the N900.

http://www.jr.com/nokia/pe/NOK_DC11/

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
Why wouldn't this work? It works with the N810.

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-product...gers/dc-8?r=-1
that would be the greatest solution. if it really works that way. because i think new symbian phones will shut down even when charged if you remove the battery...

and bundle 2 batteries together to usb reserve could be the smartest solution. one could first use two batteries with no external gadgets. and when second is wearing out, with external pack one could almost double the uptime(1100+1100mAh vs 1350mAh+1100mAh)....

on an other hand, regulator eats some of the batteries power when connecting 2x3,7v -> >7v and regulating to usb 5v. so it isn't really 2200mAh compared to plugging batteries to battery contactors. maybe the simplest solution would be 6pcs cheap AA-batteries and a 5v regulator just to keep the device running during the change.

could someone confirm that does the device stay on when removing battery while charging?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
the hibernation seems a good idea.

the backplate could be extended to the edges of the camera and stand to fit a bigger battery.

the whole case could be painted with CIGS to have it charged or at least assisted.

I dont want the mod to change overall sizelimits to still fit in my pockets and I dont want to carry any additional stuff with me apart of a spare battery (hibernate change)

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that would be the greatest solution. if it really works that way. because i think new symbian phones will shut down even when charged if you remove the battery...

and bundle 2 batteries together to usb reserve could be the smartest solution. one could first use two batteries with no external gadgets. and when second is wearing out, with external pack one could almost double the uptime(1100+1100mAh vs 1350mAh+1100mAh)....

on an other hand, regulator eats some of the batteries power when connecting 2x3,7v -> >7v and regulating to usb 5v. so it isn't really 2200mAh compared to plugging batteries to battery contactors. maybe the simplest solution would be 6pcs cheap AA-batteries and a 5v regulator just to keep the device running during the change.

could someone confirm that does the device stay on when removing battery while charging?
If it's USB reserve, the link I posted from JR.com has both a USB plug and standard power plug built in on the portable charger