Notices

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I am quite sure we will get a native, open source equivalent for Maemo and regular Linux in the near future. Think efficient continuous rsync.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Dropbox is more than that, being server based 'cloud' storage that is also synchronised between all computers. I doubt that there could ever be open-source software like this, or whether they would open the APIs for it.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
Dropbox is more than that, being server based 'cloud' storage that is also synchronised between all computers. I doubt that there could ever be open-source software like this, or whether they would open the APIs for it.
Why do you doubt there could ever be open source to do that? There are already a few open source packages which implement very good cloudy filesystems.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Why do you doubt there could ever be open source to do that? There are already a few open source packages which implement very good cloudy filesystems.
Like what? Anything that offers significant amounts of storage space? I would think that a commercial service such as this would like to keep control of how it is accessed, and by what. At least at this point in time.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Like what? Anything that offers significant amounts of storage space? I would think that a commercial service such as this would like to keep control of how it is accessed, and by what. At least at this point in time.
What about ubuntuone?? It's fully open and can be commercial with a significant amount of storage space. We only need somebody to write a client for Fremantle, but being it mainly python is should be easy.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
I can imagine Dropbox being very useful on a Maemo device, but on the desktop I found it to have a couple of problems.

The first problem is that all files to be synchronized need to be in the Dropbox directory, and not anywhere in the file system. You cannot use symlinks to get around this, unless they are made in the original locations, still having the files in the Dropbox directory.

The second problem is that you cannot choose which computers sync with particular directories, so you have to have all files on all computers.

I really liked everything else about Dropbox, but because of these two problems I had to stick with another similar program from... Microsoft. Live Mesh.
I am sorry but you need to make hard links! Google MKLINK

Originally Posted by T-unit View Post
I am sorry but you need to make hard links! Google MKLINK
Hard links are no good to me, as I do not keep data on the [RAID-0] system drives. Most files are actually in network locations, on an OpenFiler virtual machine hosted on a HP ProLiant running VMware ESXi.

Unfortunately DropBox is no good for me.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
The possibilty to work with symlinks in Ubuntu using Dropbox offers a great way to use it on the Meamo device for being mobile outside and having all content ready on the PC again without need of any data sorting...

Thats why I really would appreciate Dropbox in Maemo.