Active Topics

Originally Posted by mece View Post
@alex that would be the external terminal I didn't want to use.
Sorta, kinda, not really. This terminal is what is "running" your emulator. Scratchbox is like your n900 machine. This is terminal is like having a init script with a terminal. Anything you install in it will be in the emulator since it is the emulator.

@Hogwash well, on the device you have neither. I guess you need the chicken maker machine (app manager) and the right tools for it (extras repository perhaps?)
On the real device Xterm comes with it, and the App manager does work on the device.

I think I have some issues with my sdk. the app manager doesn't seem work properly.
Apt-get install is your friend. ;-D

Nathan

Just a FYI, for those who are even remotely interested; you can actually install xterm inside the emulator.
Code:
fakeroot apt-get install osso-xterm
I was curious about the experience of xterm on the emulator (what can you say, I'm a serious glutton for punishment. A shell (xterm) inside a emulated window (xeypher) inside a shell (scratchbox) inside another shell (bash), inside x11 (gnome) inside a VM (virtual pc)... LOL.

Wow, is that a totally awful experience running xterm inside the n900 emulator window. No wonder it isn't shipped with it...

I'll be using the scratchbox window to do anything worth while for the emulator. It is a Much, Much, Much, Much, Much faster and saner environment.

Oh, and btw; the "Enter" key on the number keypad works, the main "enter" key on the keyboard doesn't appear to work in the osso-xterm. So if you type a command and hit "Enter" and nothing happens it might be because you hit the wrong one...

Nathan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
ugh, I find YUM sooooooooo sllllloooooooooooooooooooooowwwww and crap compared to apt, everyone has their favorites though.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Oh, and btw; the "Enter" key on the number keypad works, the main "enter" key on the keyboard doesn't appear to work in the osso-xterm. So if you type a command and hit "Enter" and nothing happens it might be because you hit the wrong one...

Nathan.
Ones without the "Enter" key on the number keypad like myself (as I'm using laptop), ctrl+Enter did the work.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Originally Posted by mece View Post
I think I have some issues with my sdk. the app manager doesn't seem work properly.
you find a guide how to use the AM here. Maybe this will solve your problems.

Cheers Daniel

Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
Hi,

you find a guide how to use the AM here. Maybe this will solve your problems.

Cheers Daniel
I wish -- it appears (at least to me) that it is looking for a finger press and not a click to install in the scratchbox. And since my mouse doesn't emulate a finger; AM doesn't work to install.

Nathan.

I wish -- it appears (at least to me) that it is looking for a finger press and not a click to install in the scratchbox. And since my mouse doesn't emulate a finger; AM doesn't work to install.

Nathan.
hmm...sorry, but I don't know exactly what you mean and where it does not work. Could you specify this a bit. I could install and uninstall applications without a problem in my installation.

Cheers Daniel

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland

Nathan.
Yeah same problem here. No way to actually install anything from the app manager. I played with the real device, and it popped up a dialogue, which never happens in the sdk. well either way, It's not really a problem for developing, I just wanted to try it out.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by danielwilms View Post
hmm...sorry, but I don't know exactly what you mean and where it does not work. Could you specify this a bit. I could install and uninstall applications without a problem in my installation.

Cheers Daniel
When you go into AM on the emulator; you can't cause it to install anything. It basically highlights the line like you are selecting it. If you hold the mouse button down you can get "details" on it. But I couldn't find anyway to actually cause it to install from AM. I tried two different versions of Xephyr (one running actually cgwin/x under windows) and one inside a Jaunty installation. Both acted the same way. Are you saying AM is allowing you to install for you inside the emulator?

Nathan.

yep...it works fine. But have you:

1) enabled the red pill mode and
2) checked the box "Assume net connection" in the settings?

Cheers Daniel