Active Topics

Originally Posted by Vodrin View Post
Is there a way to turn the red light off for filming shopping lists?

;-)

The 5800 can deal with LEDs being left on for a long time, they didn't get particularly warm and never died on me when stumbling down poorly lit country roads. Obviously it would affect battery but no reason not to have the option there? The 5800 has a little lightbulb icon while recording to toggle leds.
Shopping lists? Sorry if this is something fairly elementary, my linux / unix knowledge is fairly non-existant.

I couldn't see this feature either on the handset I had but think it was probably a fairly early firmware so couldn't comment on the release version.

No reason why it wouldn't be possible. Just the added cost and space requirements for what can be argued, a small benefit.

"Shopping lists" is from the "private browsing" thread and Mozilla Firefox's privacy mode.

Ah right lol

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Quote: "I THINK I've read in the past it's got something to do with the fact the light is designed as a flash, rather than to be lit on any long term basis. So may be detrimental to the life of the LEDs."

We have a winner! It is a catch 22, since the better the flash LED's the less likely to use as a flashlight / camera function. Then people will be complaining that the LEDS's have gone out on them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Damn! Do you think this will make it very unlikely someone will attempt to develop a way round this then? I doubt most people would use it that often but it would be very useful to have the feature there.

Depends how easy and how much to replace the LEDS. I am guessing any duration above two seconds would hurt both the life and performance of the LEDS. Probably more like anything above one second (if we consider the function of a flash LED and what it takes to be so bright). The LED is probably capacity triggered (builds the charge), so it does not go off unless enough power is given to it. For this reason, I doubt you would be able to hack into it to make it light with less power and less brightness. I have been wrong more than right- so who knows?

I would not risk it, but would be interesting to see how long they last for people that hack it

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-13 at 20:28.

The more power you run through the leds, the brighter they'll shine, but at some point the amount of heat they generate will be too much, which would make them produce less light over time and/or shift from white to blue in colour.

PS. My Nokia E75 also supports video light

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
The more power you run through the leds, the brighter they'll shine, but at some point the amount of heat they generate will be too much, which would make them produce less light over time and/or shift from white to blue in colour.

PS. My Nokia E75 also supports video light
Cool, so it has a variable capacitive circuit for both flash mode and light.

Still not too sure I would use my N900 for that. LED's must be expensive to replace and then lose the phone for a few weeks

If the n82 xenon bulb was used as a flashlight it would have burnt through the casing and probably made people looking at it blind... Just taking repeating shots with it made the glass to hot to touch.

Does the n900 have the annoying red recording light when using using the camera mode?

Originally Posted by Vodrin View Post
Is there a way to turn the red light off for filming shopping lists?

;-)
"Okay, shopping list. Mini skirt." click "Check!" "Moon pie" click "Check and Check!"

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Still not too sure I would use my N900 for that. LED's must be expensive to replace and then lose the phone for a few weeks
LEDs have run times in the hundred of thousands of hours. I don't think you'll need to worry about that. As long as you stay within their voltage range. You can under volt them, but don't over volt them.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2009-10-13 at 23:30.