I don't really need any extra RAM, the machine works fine, I just want to install an OS version which lets me use Skype (and the Aspire's version of Linux doesn't).

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I actually just installed Karmic (latest version of Ubuntu) on my first generation Acer One. Works like a charm.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
But I think I am going to switch to the eeebuntu thing, when they switch to debian.

Hang on a minute... is easypeasy the same thing as netbook remix? It certainly looks that way...

in the northern area i live its so cold the fish grow fur(actually a fish, a rabbit and some creative taxidermy)
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...gbv=2&aq=f&oq=
on my netbook I run regular ubuntu on a 32gb patriot XT. I installed it using virtual box. It works good.
the question: what should I set swappiness to, a low value to minimize writes or a hight value for other reasons.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I love Linux Mint, but I'm not as experienced as these guys. Being as such, I think my suggestion is pretty important, since Mint was a pleasant experience for me, a new Linux user that was raised on Microsoft.

Okay, I installed easypeasy and it was very easy to do (illustrated step-by-step instructions on its official site), and it does exactly what I need it to.

All you need to install it is a 2gb or bigger USB memory stick.

So, thumbs up for easypeasy...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
anyone have any differences between easypeasy and Mint? How are they different?

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
anyone have any differences between easypeasy and Mint? How are they different?
I haven't used Mint, but isn't Mint meant more for ordinary PCs rather than mini-laptops?

All I can comment on is that easypeasy hasn't crashed or failed at all so far. It even runs websites much better, for example Facebook chat works on Easypeasy but it didn't on Linpus (the Linux Aspire ships with Linpus).

Based on my experience so far, I would definitely recommend easypeasy to anyone who's got a cheap low-end minilaptop which they want to breathe new life into.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Aergh... how many netbook versions of ubuntu are there? Why couldn't they focus on doing one version?
There's only one official Ubuntu for netbooks, the NetBook Remix version. All the others are spinoffs/forks by other bits of the community.