I agree with you dantonic. If Nokia wants OVI Maps to stay relevant, this seems like the only route to go. Plus, the ability to download maps would even allow a way to trump the big G. Ideally, I'd like the ability to choose between a number of worthy alternatives.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
If Nokia wants to break through the market with Maemo 5 and 6, they will have to compete with the GPS navigation capabilities of Android. In my opinion any solution much inferior to googles will not cut it, and will drive lots of non maemo fan customers straight into the arms of Android devices

At the very minimum Ovi needs Voice activation, turn by turn, and especially it has to be free/included with the device.

I love maemo and have purchased the N900, but I seriously found myself thinking about the Motorola droid, when I saw the GPS navigation function in action. Tap a button, and tell it where you want to go. I use navigation often, and there is a huge difference between voice activated navigation and something like maemo-mapper.

Maemo-mapper is a great tool, I use it daily, but not very user friendly/intuitive.

It has to be seamless.
OVI needs that!
I 100% agree. Google Maps Navigation for N900 is the #1 most needed app, in my opinion.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
As someone who has decided to purchase the n900 instead of the Droid, what really bugs me is that Google Maps Navigation for the Droid is one of the coolest features, while navigation on the N900 is one of its worst features.

The GPS on my N810 is the most disappointing part of the entire device. It never works well for me. To hear that the N900 doesn't have a best-in-class GPS is the worst news for me.

How about a bunch of us N900 users who need best-in-class navigation get together and put up a really significant bounty for solving this? I'll make the first commitment to putting up a bounty.

Can any developer give some feedback on what it would take to make this happen? How much end-user interest is required? How effective will a bounty be? How long will it take? Can we realistically make this happen?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
I was about to switch and buy Droid instead because of that Google Map Navigation. So yea..i agreed...N900 need to do something to compete with that SICK APPLICATION. Not only it is sick...it's FREE!! The least Nokia can do is give us FREE turn by turn nav for now.

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Agree 100% - N900 needs Google Maps.

Posts: 175 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester UK
Totally agree - I would like Google Maps for N900 - that would make it the ultimate device!

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Might I suggest a vote for "Google Latitude support to Nokia N900" too..

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I get the sense that many people LIKE the Google model of a well made application with free maps and navigation all without a subscription. Right?

I had bought the $200 navigation car kit for the N800 aaaages ago when it was new, and it's been okay (not bad, not excellent--pretty okay) but I PAID for it. This Google model obliterates what I've seen and read about Ovi on the N900 so far. I've been very seriously considering going Droid (if only the memory wasn't so lightweight--but I might willing to forgive that for all its other excellent points).

Why can't the clearly better hardware of the N900 get clearly better navigation? Ovi doesn't strike me as clearly better .. or is it? Help me understand, here. I thought Nokia had their own maps and that this was their own product and their own software. What's the deal? What am I overlooking?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
No Google Naviagtion in Europe, because the maps are copyright TeleAtlas (TomTom!).

Tags
google maps maemo