Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by BlueSpyder View Post
As a long time Palm user (since 1997), I find this to be one of the most beautiful ports I've seen for the N770. ;-)
ArnimS, I like your idea of rotating and double sizing POSE. If Graffiti recognition is problematic, then an add-on keyboard for POSE would sure be nice for those of us without bluetooth keyboards.
Thanks, the handwriting recognition works somewhat, but is too slow to be accurate on the 770.

I note from the screenshot above that skins are working. Is there a "trick" to this? For me, POSE complains about not finding skins and then uses the default generic skin.
I only included a couple of basic skins. POSE tries to find a skin matching your OS version, and if it can't find it will default to a basic skin. You can download skins via your favorite linux distro, or for e.g. from here:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/co....9.orig.tar.gz

Thanks very, very much for making the port available.
BlueSpyder
You're welcome. I'm glad you appreciate this pre-release. Free feel to register on the garage page or send me a private message if you can test this emulator regularly. Since i have no experience with the palm, you could really help move this along.

Originally Posted by nspeer View Post
Great idea! There were quite a few Palm apps that I used to use before switching to my 770. I would love to be able to use them again. Question:
how does one install Palm apps with this POSE app for the 770/800?

thanks,
neil
ditto
ditto

john

when i attempt to untar the pose_nokia_770_2006.tbz file i get an "invalid tar magic" message. i downloaded the file into /media/mmc1 and attempted to untar into /home/user as was suggested.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Las Vegas, NV
Hi,
It looks like the long awaited linux platform for the palm might be completed. It will be interesting to see if they develope a device for it. Also, from what I understand they will be open sourcing the OS and a virtual machine called Garnet VM to allow palm aps to be used on a linux platform. This would be great if it works as Garnet is the latest version of the Palm OS. Yhis might be currently developers only, I am not sure as I haven't had the time to read everything, but it looks interesting.

Here's a blurb from the website:

ACCESS Garnet™ VM Compatibility Kit
ACCESS Garnet VM provides the ability to run existing ACCESS Garnet™ OS (formerly known as Palm OS® Garnet™) applications on the ACCESS Linux Platform. As part of the Early ACCESS program, the ACCESS Developer Network has released the ACCESS Garnet™ VM Compatibility Kit to a group of leading Palm OS® developers for external testing and validation. The ACCESS Garnet VM Compatibility Kit is a stand-alone kit enabling developers to test their ACCESS Garnet OS-based applications' compatibility with ACCESS Linux Platform. I wonder if this VM will run on the Internettablet? I think the VM can be downloaded.

Glen

Last edited by linuxbear; 2007-04-10 at 01:08.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Las Vegas, NV
also a release doc from Access

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2007,+03:00+AM

I tried the emulator. Is it supposed to work as good on the N800 as on the 770? Here's my short test review:
- I have tested with the PalmOS412 ROM image from palmsource/access
- When it first started it appeared to work ok after I passed through the initial display calibration sequence
- However, I could only see the upper part of the emulator, the input area and a bit of the display was below the lower part of the (landscape mode) screen, nothing at all like the jpg's I found at the download site, where the whole PDA was visible. Full screen/zoom buttons don't work.
- How to rotate to portrait mode? One of the demo images was rotated. Couldn't find a way to rotate.
- The initial try was otherwise successful. Could run the todo app. and other built-in apps.
- It doesn't work after the initial try. It starts up, but doesn't go any further, and is unresponsive. I had an ssh login and 'top' showed 99% CPU. Killed it. Removed anything new I could find in /home/user/, which was a .poserc file (or some such, IIRC), and tried again. Same thing.
- Other than that, I'm a bit unsure about the skins. I believe I have installed them correctly, but it doesn't seem to be possible to select anything - I see only two: Standard English and generic (IIRC, the last test was a couple of hours ago).

Other: When it worked, it was great (apart from the display problem), this is something I would really like to use. I would love to run the couple of simple, but essential applications that I still use my Palm PDA for. Then the N800 would truly replace my T3 (and I could change my nick.. )

Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
when i attempt to untar the pose_nokia_770_2006.tbz file i get an "invalid tar magic" message. i downloaded the file into /media/mmc1 and attempted to untar into /home/user as was suggested.
You should unpack it on a desktop computer. You need 'bunzip2' installed, it's a bzip2 compressed tar file.

This will work on a Linux computer: tar jxvf pose_nokia_770_2006.tbz
Or, on any other *nix computer: bunzip2 -c pose_nokia_770_2006.tbz | tar xvf -

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle, WA
There is a bzip deb available--I just did a search for it in the application manager to find it.

The POSE emulator accepts command line options. You can load third party applications with a command line such as this:

./pose -rom Palm_IIIc.rom -load_apps NeoCal.PRC

If you have more than one app to load, you can comma separate the app names after the -load_apps.

-BlueSpyder

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle, WA
I can't seem to get past the palm screen. I'm able to load palmos40-en-m505.rom but it defaults to the generic skin. Then after it loads (I only see the screen with color palm startup screen and part of the app/input area) it freezes. NothIng works, so I end up rebooting. I downloaded everything to my n800 internal card then used bzip2, tar and unrar in xterm to decompress to /user/home. I also tried this rom: PalmIIIcOS40-en-color.rom and the first one multiple times.