Quick question,

Should a fresh device have about 74% used space on /?

If not, how much is used on a fresh device? Does anyone know?

I'm looking at 'df' by the way.

is it ext2 / ext3 ??

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
Your rootfs is mounted on / and in your df output is shown as having 227.9MB of total size. That's not 2GB. /opt is actually in /home and has the additional 2GB for packages from Extras and the remainder of the 32GB built-in MMC is on /home/user/MyDocs.

So it wasn't quite what you'd described earlier, but I can see why you'd perhaps describe it that way. The fact remains though, that the rootfs is quite small and we need 'care in the community' to ensure that it doesn't get filled up.
i thought that they were supposed to expand that to 2gb (http://my-symbian.com/other/preview_n900.php) about 3/4's down in green.

checking in terminal brings up 227 of total size. how can i manually install programs in the 2gb space? will this help with the out of memory errors? thanks guys and gals.

first post by the way but always read up here for clues and hints. also got my n900 almost a week ago and love it!

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Quick question,

Should a fresh device have about 74% used space on /?

If not, how much is used on a fresh device? Does anyone know?

I'm looking at 'df' by the way.
That sounds about right, yes. Mine's at 78% with a couple of dozen apps installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bguzmanz2 View Post
checking in terminal brings up 227 of total size. how can i manually install programs in the 2gb space? will this help with the out of memory errors? thanks guys and gals.
Any larger apps will install under /opt (which is a symlink to /home/opt), which provides 2GB so should be enough. It's only smaller apps (or those in the -devel or -testing repositories which haven't yet been optified) which will use up the root filesystem space.

There's also currently a bug when installing multiple applications where the downloaded data isn't properly deleted after installing (until after a reboot), which can lead to running out of free space temporarily. This should be fixed with the next firmware though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
There's also currently a bug when installing multiple applications where the downloaded data isn't properly deleted after installing (until after a reboot), which can lead to running out of free space temporarily. This should be fixed with the next firmware though.
For the records: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5450

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
So why the 2GB partition at /dev/mmcblk0p2 (/home)? Is this for the rest of the system that wouldnt fit in the rootfs? Basically, /home is stuff we shouldn't really touch, and /dev/mmcblk0p1 (/home/user/MyDocs) we can use?
This the opt (/home/opt) area where installed applications and data are supposed to me installed. The /home/user/MyDocs and memory card partitions are umounted in USB mass storage mode. Applications don't their library and files disappearing while they are running. Hence the reason for 2G /opt (aka /home/opt) partition. /opt is never un-mounted. So applications won't break in mysterious ways in USB mass storage mode.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Here's the breakdown:

/ is the root system partition where applications are loaded. This is a two Gigabyte partition.

/home/user/MyDocs is the area that is visable from the N900's GUI filemanager as "N900". This is the remainder of the internal 32GB chunk (about 27~ GB).

/media/mmc1 is the Micro SCHC card.

When you plug in the N900 in USB Mass storage mode, the host PC maps the /media/mmc1 and the /home/user/MyDocs partitions as separate readable drives.

If you want to move files from anywhere else onto your PC, first copy them to either the SDHC card, or to /home/user/MyDocs.

Hope this helps.
Is it possible to resize the root partition? I'm thinking maybe 2GB for apps & libs is a bit low, but I don't know how big a lot of the apps are.

Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Is it possible to resize the root partition? I'm thinking maybe 2GB for apps & libs is a bit low, but I don't know how big a lot of the apps are.
You can't resize the root partition as that's on a separate memory device. The 2GB for apps & libs (/opt -> /home/opt) is not on the root partition though, so could in principle be expanded.

Last edited by Rob1n; 2009-12-08 at 18:38. Reason: typo

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ germany, heidelberg
Before someone asks, 32GB for the N900 means:
32GB = 32000000000 Byte = 29.8 Gibibyte

The table on http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_filesystem has Gibibyte.