Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
jes please!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
You realize that the number is simply a matter of different Operating Systems, right? If Nokia gives us every functionality from Symbian's Ovi Maps 3.01, or whatever, we will "still" be at Ovi Maps 2.0.

And if you're unhappy with PR1.2's Ovi Maps (I'm more than delighted, the UI and speed is much faster) grab Mappero from extras-testing. No instabilities I've seen so far.

Just plot a route, download the relevant maps (in the application itself), and go. Turn-by-Turn directions as well as portrait mode. Spoken directions are coming soon (right now it uses flite, which is unmaintained, but the developer has been looking into espeak.)
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

dont waste your breath, if Nokia does not annouce it Nokia aint giving it - as pointed out by many here they dont even read these forums officially

if you want a phone WITH gps WITH turn by turn, either buy sygic OR sell this phone and get another. end of story

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
dont waste your breath, if Nokia does not annouce it Nokia aint giving it - as pointed out by many here they dont even read these forums officially

if you want a phone WITH gps WITH turn by turn, either buy sygic OR sell this phone and get another. end of story
You mean voice guided nav because we have turn by turn nav

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg GERMANY
any news on OVI maps 3 for N900?

Theminstalled version is a total POS and an insult from nokia.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
The best we can do right now is wait for that in PR1.3 or until MeeGo is ported to N900. But I don't see that coming or any news until later end of October this year. Nokia hasn't finished with Maemo5 but already cutting down on fixing it. Most of difficult to fix bugs are marked as Won't Fix. Camera broken even more than PR1.1 and Nokia advertised the camera as capable of sequence snapshots as a feature but it's not yet exist.

So just be patience and live the moment.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
Maps are annoying specially that functionality we want is already there. At the end of the day Ovi map is able to display turn by turn just not when you driving. It's able to recalculate....you just have to go back and as a starting point chose again your gps position...was it really so hard to code it, or was it more convenient for Sygic.

Sorry
I don't want to start another complaining thread....
back to your question.

If you need navigation you can
- buy Sygic (It's OK although if you're not in a hurry wait for version 10, we don't know when it will show up)
- use Mappero. Works with voice navigation. If you have data plan go for it otherwise you have to pre download all the maps at home or when you connected to wifi
- Navit is an option...if you like play with cli a little bit

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by eike.com View Post
any news on OVI maps 3 for N900?
Ovi Maps 1.01 is included into PR 1.2 update

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
i think im the only person who like ovi maps since pr 1.2, it has help me on many journeys