Active Topics

Also, it depends on the python-dbus package. I think that's the only dependency that's not part of the base configuration, though.

Thanks, I will try it soon. Is it also possible to specify an own account status instead of offline? So that I have IM accounts online while on GPRS and VoIP accounts as well when I am on WiFi.

Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
Thanks, I will try it soon. Is it also possible to specify an own account status instead of offline? So that I have IM accounts online while on GPRS and VoIP accounts as well when I am on WiFi.
I'm not sure. I think all of my IM accounts are also VoIP accounts (e.g., google talk), and for those I don't know if there's an "IM only" status--do you know if there is one?

Or are you talking about IM accounts that don't do VoIP? I guess it makes sense to have an option to leave those online when you go off of wifi. Ideally, there would be some way for the script to tell which accounts are IM-only, but I'm not aware of one. When I get some time I'll do some experimenting to try and see. I do know that there's a way to find out the protocol, so if we had to we could just make our own list of those.

I guess the other option would be to have some kind of configuration mechanism that would allow you to specify a status for each account in each connection state. But that's getting into shepherd's territory and I don't want to duplicate that effort. My goal here is to keep this thing pretty simple.

All of that work remains to be done, though; if you want that functionality today you'd have to edit the python code. It's pretty short, so it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

No, I meant that I have one SIP only account which should be offline while not on WiFi but all other accounts should still be busy and when WiFi is detected all accounts should be online.

Can I use this Python script in /etc/network/if-up.d/ or have to create a shell script there which executes this Python script?

Last edited by DaSilva; 2010-01-28 at 09:11.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by surrealize View Post
I've got a quick hack of a python script that does this (attached). I'm thinking it could be packaged to run under upstart, but I'm not too familiar with upstart (or with debian packages), so I'm hoping for some help there.
I've given a quick test of your script and it seems to work fine. However, one thing - it does put all IM/VOIP account online when on WiFi, but "Availability" plugin in status-area still displays availability as Offline. Funny, when I get into it, I can see green icons next to all accounts, but main status button is Offline.

Having said that, would it be possible to not set individual accounts on-/offline, but use predefined statuses that I can set myself in the status-area applet? See screenshot - I have two statuses pre-set: "IM" (non-VoIP accounts only), and "VoIP". So in my scenario I'd like your script (or Shepherd or any other) to enable not individual accounts, but that generic "VoIP" status, which then enables particular accounts of my choice. Is that possible?
Attached Images