Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
ok i will try that thanks

but cant nokia just sort out and save imap emails to our device.(and have an option to leave messages on server). like the iphone..

your saying its not a phone bug- well phones can sort this out- as i have another phone that does, the nokia cant.
Second way, it is try to make IMAP work offline. I have never used imap offline even on notebook. If i don't mistake this functionality (offline imap) on N900 is absent.
In this case probably you can make enhancement request...

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i use imap oiffline on my iphone..

i am not that knowledagble about emails therefore i thought it was normal.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
ok i have a bit of a problem. with this way of doing things.. this doesnt happen on my iphone..

if i have viewed the message on another device first it wont download..

anyways of sorting this out so it acts like my iphone..

and views all even if viewed and picked up elsewhere,(seems a problem with pop3)

doesnt delete messages from my outlook if i delete on my nokia, and downloads em to my device so i can view offline..(prob with imap)

in my outlook i have save a copy in my account seetings.

i never use gmail web based..

its wierd because the iphone uses imap.. but it downloads the messages as well. not only that but if i delete of my phone it stays on my oulook..

which is the way i want to keep it.

what is the iphone doing that the n900 cannot

pop3 is sadly almost useless to me, as i cant download allready viewed mails..

but thanks for the help anyway
Gmail is a real pain for this and I've had this problem in the past. There is a solution though, at least if you are using POP. In your account settings, where it asks for username, type in 'recent:' before your email adress. So, it should read recent:johnsmith@gmail.com . Make sure you adjust to the same username setting on any email client (Outlook, Thunderbird) that uses POP3 mail. If you do this, you should be able to get all your mail on all your devices.

Last edited by dreadnought; 2010-01-05 at 21:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to dreadnought For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
Second way, it is try to make IMAP work offline. I have never used imap offline even on notebook. If i don't mistake this functionality (offline imap) on N900 is absent.
In this case probably you can make enhancement request...
I'm not sure what the problem is here but offline reading of emails, even for an IMAP4 account, is definitely possible in the N900. It's also never been a problem with any of the mobile and desktop email client I've ever had to use. I've got 4 GMail accounts all configured with IMAP4 and they're working just fine offline on my N900, Nokia E90, iPhone and MacBook.

On the N900, when offline, the list of email headers in any local or server folder that was synchronized while online is still displayed. Any email that's been fully downloaded can be opened without any problems. If an email body hadn't been downloaded, trying to open it offline will cause a dialog box to appear prompting to download the body.

The only problem I've seen is that when modest automatically checks for emails, it doesn't always downloads the body of new emails (or maybe it does but takes forever to do it). As a result, when you go offline and try to open one of the new emails, the body is sometimes (but not always) missing and you need to go back online to be able to read it.

In my experience, Modest actually works far better offline with GMail IMAP4 accounts than online. Because of the bug mentioned earlier, opening an IMAP4 folder while online can sometimes take forever (several minutes), which can render the email client pretty much unusable. Opening emails can also be really slow at times. When offline however, everything is always instant, just as on an iPhone and exactly as it should be.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
did you set up your gmails auto mate. i can not get em offline

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
I'm having problems setting up my Google Apps account with Modest. I have already set up two google accounts using imap4, no problem. but for some reason when i set up the google apps account it tells me; user name or password incorrect.
Has anyone else had a similar difficulty?
suggestions?

thanks.

did you set up your gmails auto mate. i can not get em offline
Yes - in the Account Setup wizard, I selected "Gmail" as the Service Provider and the all the settings were set automatically for me. It created an IMAP4 account that works just fine offline.

Originally Posted by pettergoldstine View Post
I'm having problems setting up my Google Apps account with Modest. I have already set up two google accounts using imap4, no problem. but for some reason when i set up the google apps account it tells me; user name or password incorrect.
I've got two Google Apps for Business email accounts setup on my N900 and haven't had any problems so far (beyond all the known bugs in modest of course). My only suggestions would be:

1) Go to the Google Apps site (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html) and login to double-check your email address and password.

2) When setting up the email account in modest, make sure that you select "Gmail" as the email provider and that you specify your full email address as the username.

There's a know bug too in the email client that causes it to complain that the username or password is wrong every time it encounters a problem when checking emails even when the problem is unrelated to the username or password. In my experience, this bug occurs very often (several times a day for me). This could be what you've been seeing.

Bump:

Im still having this issue with the invalad user and pass, any one have fix yet?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Rapparee View Post
Bump:

Im still having this issue with the invalad user and pass, any one have fix yet?
Still? where is your original post then?
Gmail works on my N900 and seems to work on quite many people so what have you done to your system?