Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I like how James Cameron is referenced to bring validity to such an amazing feature. If I grow a ponytail and put it in the usb port, will I be able to "feel" my way around the ui? OrangeGump.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
I like how James Cameron is referenced to bring validity to such an amazing feature. If I grow a ponytail and put it in the usb port, will I be able to "feel" my way around the ui? OrangeGump.
Be as sceptical as you want. The Apple innovation train has its steam at full throttle.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This is from a friend of mine working for Apple:

"The camera in the tablet will recognize where the primary users eyes are and project a stereo image space
In 3D graphics, the term "stereo image" specifically refers to an image that is different for each eye. AFAIK this would require either glasses (red/blue, polarized) or some kind of lenticular filter on top of the screen (like those old "3D postcards").

Will the tablet really support a "stereo image" in this respect, or will it just be a "3D image" that changes the viewpoint slightly as you move your eyes/head in relation to the tablet?

2010... year of the user interfaces revolution?

gah, come on; We're still using user interface concepts older than the machines at our local banks and government agencies.

Apple doesn't have anything except a rabid fanbase, community is everything for a brand (company) or device.

Even if it does everything as promised I'd still not find myself buying one, watching my eyes? three dimensional? No thanks, my eyes are bad enough as it is, don't point anything at them and for god's sake don't make my eyes focus any worse than they already do. Remember Nintendo's Virtual Boy? Yeah... that went over real well. I for one won't be stressing my eyes out with some cutting edge 3d technology, or even cutting edge 2d technology.

Compiz seemed like a great idea at first but if you ever showed it to older folks and gauged their reaction to it-- it's just utter nonsense to them, the animations are distracting and annoying. I imagine that is how I'll find newer age technologies as they come out. I want my computer to do work efficiently not endlessly bedazzle me.

Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Will the tablet really support a "stereo image" in this respect, or will it just be a "3D image" that changes the viewpoint slightly as you move your eyes/head in relation to the tablet?
The latter. Still, a HUGE awesomeness to see depth on a screen without using special glasses, don't you think?

Originally Posted by t7g View Post
2010... year of the user interfaces revolution?

gah, come on; We're still using user interface concepts older than the machines at our local banks and government agencies.

Apple doesn't have anything except a rabid fanbase, community is everything for a brand (company) or device.

Even if it does everything as promised I'd still not find myself buying one, watching my eyes? three dimensional? No thanks, my eyes are bad enough as it is, don't point anything at them and for god's sake don't make my eyes focus any worse than they already do. Remember Nintendo's Virtual Boy? Yeah... that went over real well. I for one won't be stressing my eyes out with some cutting edge 3d technology, or even cutting edge 2d technology.

Compiz seemed like a great idea at first but if you ever showed it to older folks and gauged their reaction to it-- it's just utter nonsense to them, the animations are distracting and annoying. I imagine that is how I'll find newer age technologies as they come out. I want my computer to do work efficiently not endlessly bedazzle me.
I would recommend you watching Avatar in IMAX 3D. Best technology I've seen in a long time. That may prompt you to reconsider your outdated views wrto 3D technologies.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Awwww poor little OrangeBox.

Aren't you getting the response you wanted.. ?
Heres a little bedtime taking the bait for you:

Yeah, whatever! Apple's all flash, and fischer-price graphics!!1
I mean it'll probably only have 90% fart apps, and nothing else.
I'll stick with my N900 where I'M in control of my device, and can do whatever I want with it. I shouldn't have to jailbreak my device, just to get basic functionality!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
[insert stereotypical comments here]

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This is from a friend of mine working for Apple:

"The camera in the tablet will recognize where the primary users eyes are and project a stereo image space thus enabling three dimensional applications. The operating system will be three dimensional and applications will look like magic because they will what Cameron terms "z space" or depth."

In case you haven't guessed it will be the Apple tablet scheduled to be release in April.
Eye tracking? I'm out. I have a condition called nystagmus which causes my eyes to oscillate back and forth, blurring my vision. The wikipedia page for pathologic nystagmus suggestions getting drunk can induce it also (no I don't drink and if I did, I doubt I would notice a difference but I would find it funny if an officer ordered a breathalyzer because of it.). Interesting if the device doesn't work when the user is drunk.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
.......and then Batman placed it back in his utility belt....

I am panicking now!

So does this mean my N900 will stop working in April?

I better start pulling my hair out, start running around and scream like a little girl who just saw a spider!

Thank you orangebox!

Last edited by yorg; 2010-01-09 at 01:13.