Nokia are not very "big" over there. GSM is quite new to them - and Nokia did not make / make a lot of CDMA handsets (the "old" standard) in the USA. Motorola was the "American Dream" - so even GSM in the states got twisted a bit - so Nokia, Siemens and Ericsson could not supply equipment in time for 1. gen GSM rollout - but Motorola could.

So Nokia is not the market leader in the USA as they are in most other countries with GSM. (Nokia does not own the Japanese market either since they run another CDMA protocol)

So that is why Nokia does not get as many free cakes in USA as others might do. GSM networks does actually not cover ALL of USA yet. (See Sprint vs Verizon fx. :-) So potential client base for GSM handsets are no 98% of population like Europe - but maybe 40-50% depending on how you count.

Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I can understand that. But part of the problem with the US (I was born here) is its inability to accept criticism or blame.

And the US press is no longer journalism. It's entertainment. Maemo is no where near top 40, so that's your reason.
That and the perception (due to media and occasionally the government depending on the President and whatever party is in power) of Americans is very poor. And we don't do much to change that.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
What? What about this car (truck... whatever):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHDlJSSZYjg

:-)
Wow, really, your posting about Top Gear and saying that the US gets most of the cars reviewed on that show? Seriously?

It still amazes me that there are so many "good" Fords made, that are not available stateside. I still remember the day I saw a Peugeot 206, with Euro tags, over 20 years ago near my high school, and thinking, "D@mn...why can't we get a cool car like that". That list has grown ever longer...still waiting for the new Scirocco, to go with my GTI and Corrado.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Because there is no marketing for N900 here in US.

It looks like Nokia didn't consider N900 seriously - they even got OUT OF STOCK in the beginning of December briefly. It could be nightmare if N900 reaches a half of Nexus One popularity because just there are no enough phones.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
For the same reason why N. America doesn't get any "cool cars", has limited coverage on "world sports" or news, if at all, along with the belief that "if it ain't American", it ain't worth covering"...among other reasons.
Please.

Nokia has pretty consistently ignored the US market for the past 5 years and the result has been very poor customer service, poor phone selection and no consumer exposure.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Please.

Nokia has pretty consistently ignored the US market for the past 5 years and the result has been very poor customer service, poor phone selection and no consumer exposure.
...aaand as I've said many times we can point the blame further down to US carriers and the FCC who insist on perpetuating a closed, customer-hostile ecosystem that runs counter to Nokia's open, feature-rich phone design preferences.

Nokia's attempt to change things failed and backfired thanks to competitors who sucked up to carriers. Now they have to work to regain carrier trust... not easy.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Please.

Well, I'm new to Nokia, and not familiar with their business practices...nor do I care. Right now, they have a phone available that suits my needs more than any other, and I bought it. Luckily, it was available stateside, and has proven issue free for me...except for the USB port coming detached on my first 900.

My point was that its a two-way street. If Americans wanted foreign (your product/concern here), we would have it. If foreign mfgs. felt there was a market for their product here, they'd sell it. My issue is that either way, all the cool 'ish I'm interested in, isn't readily available in the states. There's nothing better than watching 6-month tape delay of DTM, in favor of 12hrs per day of NASCAR coverage...WTF?!?!?!?

I was only poking fun at the Top Gear post because its one of my fav shows, but do you know how freakin' hard it was finding a 52cm steel Colnago in the US in the late 90's? I had to settle for a 51, and took years to setup so I wouldn't have back pain.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-15 at 20:35.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Enough with the America bashing. Nokia has not, to date, tried to compete in the US market for a number of reasons including a long standing and just recently resolved dispute over CDMA patents.

American journals and journalists, not to mention bloggers, report on what sells in America. If Nokia wants to play in the US market they need to have a more substantial US presence. Right now, the vast majority of Nokia phones sold in the US are at the very low end (like the 1661 for $20 with a $10 prepaid card included). Nokia needs to enter into contracts with US carriers to sell high end phones (because almost all phones are sold by carriers who also provide almost all product support). They also need to start making big ad buys. When that happens you will see more Nokia coverage.

BTW, America, as a whole, gets cars. However America prefers Japanese cars that work to European cars that don't. And I speak as one who has owned two Fiats (Fix It Again, Tony), two Alfas, currently drives a BMW, and is waiting with baited breath for Fiat to reenter the American market so I can get the (rumored to be coming to America) Fiat 500 Abarth or Alfa Brera.

Last edited by DaveP1; 2010-01-15 at 20:58.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...aaand as I've said many times we can point the blame further down to US carriers and the FCC who insist on perpetuating a closed, customer-hostile ecosystem that runs counter to Nokia's open, feature-rich phone design preferences.

Nokia's attempt to change things failed and backfired thanks to competitors who sucked up to carriers. Now they have to work to regain carrier trust... not easy.
That's only a partial explanation, nearly useless customer support, horrible warranty service, non-existant advertising, slow phone releases, slow phone updates (the v30 firmware for the 5800 came out in August for the rest of the world, it still isn't available in the US), and a general disregard for US consumers put Nokia where it is in the US market. The FCC and US carriers have nothing to do with that.

And you know what? As a person who's tried to be a Nokia customer in the US and knowing many other people who have, too. Their position in the US market is completely deserved. Nokia did it to themselves.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
BTW, America, as a whole, gets cars. However America prefers Japanese cars that work to European cars that don't. And I speak as one who has owned two Fiats (Fix It Again, Tony), two Alfas, currently drives a BMW, and is waiting with baited breath for Fiat to reenter the American market so I can get the (rumored to be coming to America) Fiat 500 Abarth or Alfa Brera.
It's interesting that one tends to see a vastly larger number of luxury and performance vehicles on the streets in the US than in Europe. You can't swing a dead cat in traffic without hitting a half dozen BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches, and I see an Aston Martin, a Lotus and a Maserati (as poor a blend of luxury and performance as they may be ) on most of my commutes.