Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Becouse N900 is finished for Nokia! Nokia made new device with Hartman. Old devices not interested for Nokia

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Big disconnect between those two statements. Nokia says they're developing it... so how do you extract that it won't be functional with the N900?
Because they used the word "specifically"

If Ovi Suite is to be used, wouldn't they say

"We are in progress of developing the Ovi Suite to be compatable with the N900"

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by james174 View Post

Talk about reading your own thoughts into a statement!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by james174 View Post

That statement could actually be interpreted more ways than one.

But as long as the N900 gets the functionality, I'm not going to sweat the name of the application that enables it.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
That's actually a good news... Ovi Suite is a dreadful piece of software focused on the eyecandy with little to no functionality, even the old PC Suite is better, more intuitive and with less bloat.

Actually, to this day Nokia didn't manage to build a decent piece of desktop software. And that's a reason to love the N900 even more - with N900 you actually don't need any software for syncing - most of it you can do with SSH and command line - thus you don't rely on Nokia for some key features.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
That's actually a good news... Ovi Suite is a dreadful piece of software focused on the eyecandy with little to no functionality, even the old PC Suite is better, more intuitive and with less bloat.
Lol, likeing the statement. Lets just hope that whatever they bring out for the N900 isn't as half hearted and limp wristed as the rest of the crap they've brought out.

(Maybe just maybe, they might bring out some software which is as good as the N900 itself)
One can only hope

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kazuki View Post
better yet, we should just advice everyone to give up waiting for anything from nokia at all. as pr 1.2 for that matter, even though its rumored for end of march, i wouldn't be surprised if we r disappointed again, and maybe many more to come.

so stop waiting, just enjoy the device while it lasts.
why do you think that there are no official dates? because it will be released whenever it is tested and ready.

those rumours could be started by anyone who can register a twitter account or similar......
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At the start of the year I was looking forward to the OVI store actually being useful for my n900.

Unfortunately Nokia have taken too long to get this working with the n900 and now quite frankly I don't care.

Even when the OVI app is ready I won't be installing it (unless it is bundled in a frimware update).

With the apps appearing for the n900 now via maemo.org why would I want to install stuff from the OVI store?

Any third-party software company would be stark-raving mad to sell their applications exclusively via the OVI store - considering Nokia's past track record.

You would be better off selling the software through your own site.

In-fact there is nothing stopping someone setting-up a repository and filling it with commercial software (if large enough numbers eer materialise).

If the OVI store application was ready when the n900 was launched then people in their initial excitement would have bought stuff from the OVI store.
Now nobody seems to care.

Epic Fail!
Nokia had a "window of opportunity" to be a major player in the "applications" market and have now missed it. The n900 and OVI store would have been perfect synergy and could have started to establish a major presence in the smartphone application market.

It appears the maemo community have stepped-in and released over 220 applications for the n900 all free-of-charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
At the start of the year I was looking forward to the OVI store actually being useful for my n900.

Unfortunately Nokia have taken too long to get this working with the n900 and now quite frankly I don't care.
OT: This thread is about the Ovi Suite not the Ovi Store. I think the Ovi Store is usable even without a dedicated app though it would be nice to have one when Ovi Store has more stuff(and paid content).

As Texrat said I don't think the reply means Ovi Suite won't ever work with the N900. Good to know they are working on something.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by parasight View Post
OT: This thread is about the Ovi Suite not the Ovi Store. I think the Ovi Store is usable even without a dedicated app though it would be nice to have one when Ovi Store has more stuff(and paid content).

As Texrat said I don't think the reply means Ovi Suite won't ever work with the N900. Good to know they are working on something.
Ohhh poooh!

Too much coffee!

Would OVI Suite be available under Linux too?
(*johnel ducks under desk*)

Tags
n900, no ovi for n900, ovi