Active Topics

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Makati, Philippines
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
@JMacalinao - you'd never be able to get 62 browsers open on the N900 (and that is a challenge!)

With that many apps "open" the system would be running so slowly you'd be faster to have the apps open and close as you use them (i.e. normal behavior).

it's an interesting proof of concept though.
Hehe... Yeah, just tried it. I can't get past ~30 browser windows without the task switcher lagging so bad. But also take note that I visited sites that are pretty heavy in Javascript (like Twitter), so I can probably get about 40 of them if they're regular HTML pages. I've also tried opening all of my ~50 conversations, and I was able to, but when I added other apps, the task switcher stopped responding properly (e.g. clicks getting recognized as drags). I got past 62, but the task switcher froze so bad I had to close the apps through xterm.

By the way, my device is using the XLV/ideal kernel running at [500,850].

So, it's not that the N900 can't open 62+ apps, the task switcher just does a poor job handling them when there's a lot of them. Maybe if we have a different version of the task switcher (maybe a task switcher without the real-time app previews?), we can probably get 100 apps running without a hitch.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Chennai,India
IMO its not fair to compare the Maemo5 task manger with Symbian , comon guys our task manger is a thumb nailed and a live one(Windows 7), when you play a movie or song or a website is being rendered it is shown LIVELY in the task manager. I bet if symbian had a live task manager like maemo did, it wouldn't be even possible to run 10 apps at once.

Just think abt this : with a thumbnailed live task manger we are able to run 40 apps ( as claimed by nokian-series ) if we had a tweak to disable the thumbnail and switch to icon based (like symbian) 62 apps would be just a piece of cake

P.S: lol'ed when he showed 'about' app running :P

The Following User Says Thank You to arjunkumar87 For This Useful Post:
But that's Symbian's app switcher, which is just iPhone/PalmOS-style "fast app switching" and not really multitasking, right? As in the other apps are frozen or closed and only the active app is actually running.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Castle Rock, CO. USA
Yeah I never use more than, say, six apps at once? ***** I don't even have that many apps installed!

I still love my N900 and Maemo. Pure bliss. Almost as good as coffee and donuts.

There's no reason to decline the challenge. However, it might be a wise move to wait for the soon-to-be released PR1.2 firmware update.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
But that's Symbian's app switcher, which is just iPhone/PalmOS-style "fast app switching" and not really multitasking, right? As in the other apps are frozen or closed and only the active app is actually running.
I don't think that's correct. Symbian has full multi-tasking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidmaxwaterman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
I don't think that's correct. Symbian has full multi-tasking.
On my N95 I would open a program & switch to another and background program continues to work... Maybe this does not apply to J2ME apps but native symbian apps seemed to multitask fine.

Yes s60 has true multitasking, no suspended animation crap lol, anyway running 62 apps is pointless, but on the otherhand its a great way to show how good the OS is, some people like eye candy and all the sparkly bits (not sure why?) and some like to be able to use there device how THEY want, for me? id pick the later option, i buy my devices to get the job done, not sit round watching the UI fade in and out lol.
Still a great read tho and shows a strong point of symbian OS.

I'm on 30 apps and the task manager is lagging pretty bad but I can still play angry birds perfectly fine and I can still use all of the apps as normal, lol just takes a bit longer in the task manager

34 open and it took so long I had to reboot.