Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Hmmm... Telmap is VERY accurate in its navigation, it has a very big database of points-of-interest, has a very quick and good path calculation algorithm (which of course takes into account traffic alerts), its very clear and simple but in the same time has screens which can give you a lot of relevant and accurate information.
Above all, the fact that the maps are not stored locally on the phone does in fact have an advantage - the map is ALWAYS up-to-date, as the company who maintain the map, only have to change small parts of it each time a change has to be made, and this change is then "delivered" to the user only when he specifically uses the area with the changes, so no need to make sure your map is always updated - as its always updated by default.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ... not open source ... can't do nothing

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Hmmm... Telmap is VERY accurate in its navigation, it has a very big database of points-of-interest, has a very quick and good path calculation algorithm (which of course takes into account traffic alerts), its very clear and simple but in the same time has screens which can give you a lot of relevant and accurate information.
Above all, the fact that the maps are not stored locally on the phone does in fact have an advantage - the map is ALWAYS up-to-date, as the company who maintain the map, only have to change small parts of it each time a change has to be made, and this change is then "delivered" to the user only when he specifically uses the area with the changes, so no need to make sure your map is always updated - as its always updated by default.
Sounds good.
Where is the traffic alerts derived from? How detailed are they?
For example in waze you will get a route avoiding the most inner streets in tel-aviv because of traffic.
Does that exist in telmap too?
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hum ... not open source ... can't do nothing
I've asked this before but...does this help?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Source_code

Originally Posted by rariss View Post
I've asked this before but...does this help?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Source_code
I think he was talking about telmap.
Anyway the waze source is big. it would take someone unfamiliar with the project weeks to convert it, and thats only if he dedicates all day to it.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
Anyway the waze source is big. it would take someone unfamiliar with the project weeks to convert it, and thats only if he dedicates all day to it.
poop on a stick

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I think he was talking about telmap.
No. The waze code is quite well factorized, and the system specific code is separated and not very large. In addition it is based on freemap and roadmap_editor, which did have a gtk2 version, so you can use that code, and only have a few new functions to implement.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
No. The waze code is quite well factorized, and the system specific code is separated and not very large. In addition it is based on freemap and roadmap_editor, which did have a gtk2 version, so you can use that code, and only have a few new functions to implement.
sadly, i am not very good yet with c++ and compiling. even scatch box is a big pain for me. I tried looking at the code and it looks very confusing to me.
I just finished C++ and C studies In collage and still C++ on real projects look like a totally different language from the stuff they teach me in collage. I wish i could covert it so easily.

Last edited by eitama; 2010-04-14 at 12:04.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Do you think it'd be better to wait for PR 1.2 before doing those adjustments to the code?
If not, I could at least start trying to make this to work - I'm not a C++ wiz (I'm much more on the C# side), but I guess I could brush off my (minor) C++ skills and maybe at least get us a step closer to a proper navigation program on our beloved N900...

N900...[/QUOTE]

Efekt, if you would like - we can meet and maybe attack this subject together