Active Topics

Poll: HD video recording on N900?
Poll Options
HD video recording on N900?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
it will only be possible if the hardware is capable of capturing 720p resoloution the vivaz and i8910 were both made with hd video in mind so the camera module could be made to allow this

is the lens/camera module of the n900 capabale?? if not then id say no matter what you done with the software it probs wouldnt work :-)
now tell me this- Was Satio created with WVGA video recording in mind?It was only able to record video upto VGA resolution initially but after latest firmware WVGA is possible.I think it is software issue.source-http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_satio_gets_wvga_video_recording_via_ a_new_update-news-1492.php

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Here someone is working on HD video recording in Satio-http://blog.gsmarena.com/vivaz-homescreen-ported-to-satio-720p-video-recording-in-the-works/

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Don'tget your hopes up too high - IIRC video gets done on-chip in the N900, as part of the imaging package.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

hi mate i wasnt startng a row was just throwing idears into the hat

it could well be possible all iam saying is that the other hd phones have allways had that in thought from design , the n900 hasnt

things can obvously added via firmware or software patches and id love to see hd video on the n900 , it is a powerfull device so could be possible somehow

i would also like to see face recognition in the camera as seen in the game burger face , the n900 can track faces when the software is programmed so if someone could adapt the face recogntion from the game to the camera that could also be a great feature to add to the camera feature list as would a decent photo editor and movie editor and negative pictures or photo morpher

there is alot of potenial to be had from the camera iam just hoping some people can exploit it :-)

have a good evening dude

Originally Posted by plaban View Post
now tell me this- Was Satio created with WVGA video recording in mind?It was only able to record video upto VGA resolution initially but after latest firmware WVGA is possible.I think it is software issue.source-http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_satio_gets_wvga_video_recording_via_ a_new_update-news-1492.php

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Might be possible, but as already said there are enough issues with the current resolution I really can't see Nokia bothering messing around updating the driver.

The current driver certainly doesn't seem to do it. A quick test with mplayer gets you:
Source image dimensions are too high: 1280x720 (maximum is 864x648)

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
That's like something the CPU used to say
600 MHZ was it?

I guess if we've gone that far, a camera driver can be modded as well, especially if you know the controversy with i8910.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
All I know is that the E63 has a non-Zeiss 2MP cam and cannot do 640x480 30fps but the 5230 has a non-Zeiss 2MP cam and CAN do 640x480 30fps! That makes me think it is driver/software related.

I would PAY to have HD 720p recording added. I also want Automatic Focusing as a selectable option as in the HD2. You know, when you point the camera and it focuses WITHOUT you having to press the shutter button.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
here we go again!.....another impossible thing being possible!....that is why I love this phone!

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal
i'd be happy if only i could manage to have 25fps now... forget hd, give us 25 fps stable.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
N900 has the hardware to record and decode 720p videos. But the software / drivers are not available to take advantage of cpu/dsp. Heck, currently, N900 can't even record 800x480 videos at a smooth framerate. Even when cpu is overclocked to 1ghz. So there is something seriously wrong with the drivers or the camera application.

It's all in the software side for the N900. Not hardware.

I got it to play 720p HD video file at about 5fps on the N900 @ 1ghz using mplayer SW decoding.
I need something which can access the DSP so that it can play 720p HD like the Samsung Omnia HD.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
The current driver certainly doesn't seem to do it. A quick test with mplayer gets you:
It can play 1280x720 videos if you use sw scaling. (see my thread below)
What we need is hw scaling and/or decoding.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49715

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-04-18 at 00:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post: