Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by sebastian_ua View Post
I've got b/g/n router and b/g laptop. It connects to the router using G. I'm not aware of N-routers that are not compartible with B/G. Still, you need to configure router properly to accept all b/g/n. I also got the dongle to have better speed but still it is compartible with b/g. that should be your home PC config issue. n900 has no N. Most likely you didn't need the dongle. so I have one laptop, two cells and printer connecting using g and another laptop using N at the same time. The router is prety cheap - dlink DIR-655
Well, the engineer tried for hours to install it and had to come back the next day. I had gone out (after some research) and bought the dongle before he arrived, when he got here and we tried again (with dongle) it worked.
He said the BT homehub doesn't support B/G.
I know, I know, he's probably wrong but i know that if i take it out, the pc doesn't connect.
Here, no mention of B/G
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...topicId=25746#

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-04-27 at 16:25.

Originally Posted by gom4381 View Post
You got played. You could have set up router to run wireless b,g,and n protocols-simultaneously. Well, to not sound dumb, I have not come across a router that was wireless n and had to buy another adapter. I thought that every protocol after b had to incorporate the previous ones to be set in stone. Wireless N just got here last year after being in draft for a few years.
I wouldn't cosider it 'getting played' as i would have bought the dongle anyway, for the faster speed. It was only £20 :-)...
And it solved the problem!
Here, again, no mention of B/G
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...topicId=25746#

Last edited by Dancairo; 2010-04-27 at 16:26.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
I wouldn't cosider it 'getting played' as i would have bought the dongle anyway, for the faster speed. It was only £20 :-)...
And it solved the problem!
There you go. No offense was intended or implied. Good decision. Technicians dont know what they are talking about most of the time and then they sell you something. I thought that is what happened. But on another note.... What if this high speed transmission service that is going to be at the Nokia stores was actually something that exists (N protocol n e body?) in the N900 and they just haven't enabled it yet through some yet announced firmware update. I dont know the link but I think they got a whole album downloaded in like 20 seconds. Maybe it is a hack that uses BT, Wifi, and the HSDPA simultaneously to transmit and recieve so fast. just a thought.

Originally Posted by gom4381 View Post
There you go. No offense was intended or implied. Good decision. Technicians dont know what they are talking about most of the time and then they sell you something. I thought that is what happened. But on another note.... What if this high speed transmission service that is going to be at the Nokia stores was actually something that exists (N protocol n e body?) in the N900 and they just haven't enabled it yet through some yet announced firmware update. I dont know the link but I think they got a whole album downloaded in like 20 seconds. Maybe it is a hack that uses BT, Wifi, and the HSDPA simultaneously to transmit and recieve so fast. just a thought.
Actually, now i think about it, I really don't know what i'm talking about, The router connects to my Wii and i'm sure that's not 'N'...
Bugger, forget all my previous posts and i opologise for wasting your time...must have been a problem with my PC!!!

Still...I got fast broadband!

P.S No offence taken at all gom

Originally Posted by grog View Post
Just be aware that for any N-class router that is set to accept connections from either G- or B-class devices as well as N-class, that once a slower device connects the speed for ALL devices gets lowered to that level.

For example, say that two N-class devices are connected to an N-class router. They will both enjoy N-class speeds. Later a G-class device (like the N900) connects to the same router, all three devices now are "dragged down" to the G speed as long as the G device is connected. As soon as the G device disconnects the connection speed will increase back up to N-class.

This is a hardware limitation of all routers. Some have dual-channel capability, so they can service two classes of devices at the same time without affecting the higher speed devices, but they're a lot more expensive.

HTH
are you sure? I think you are wrong. as far as I understand the protocols and the way routers built it should run highest speed for b g and n at the same time. i saw in forums guys saying same thing, this is not true however. will test it out this week.