Notices

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
I copied the pak0 file but it still doesn't run, it seems to load and then just checks me back to my phone, do I need the pak1 files in there too? sorry if this is a dumb question
Nope. Just uninstall the app entirely, install it again, before running it put the pak0 in baseq2 and THEN run it. Apparently the app freaks out if you run it without the file and won't run no matter what untill reinstalled.
________
Repsol Honda

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 13:01.

sorry I deleted my post as I got it working, woops. ye for some reason it only moved a part of the file and then wouldn;t let me overwright, it was just doing nothing, I rm'd and then moved again and it worked

My knew question is probably even dumber than the first but has anyone actually been able to play this game, as in control wise? any good ideas, it's one of those games that defo needs a mouse so how does one look around, move and shoot all at the same time?

Again, thanks.

I love these kinda games (I had to go digging to find my original Q2 CDs) but the control interface on the N900 (or any similar device) is just awful.

I'm no 1337 gamer, but without dual mouse&keyboard control it plain sucks. Totally wrong platform for such games.

I think I'll reinstall it on my F12 box, get some beer and relive the good ol'days

hehehe ye Iv'e been doing the same recently, I installed simcity200 and jammed that for days! same with loads of snes, nes and megadrive games, am currently half way through zero tolerence on the megadrive. some old school game work well on the n900, the older the game the better it seems to work, sonic is a good example, it only needs the arrows and a jump key.

quake 2 however seems to be a bit more "complex" I have banged on and on about how come there's no touch controls like on the iphone even if it's just for looking about but it seems far too many people port the game and then call it quites still waiting for some speedups and a software keyboard for dosbox...

The physical constraints of the N900 are the challenge here. It simply cannot support the kind of parallel controls you commonly use on a PC - QuakeX/UT etc typically have up to 4 simultaneous inputs (mouse motion + button click, and 2 keys)

Another point of concern is: how punishing are these kinda games on the keyboard/screen?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dak For This Useful Post:
good question I better move all my gameplay around the jeyboard so as not to ware the keys out... surely they should last a long time, i personally have never had a key on a phone "break" the joystick on my k800 was rubbish yes but it never really "broke" as such.

Also wats the standard manufactures warranty on a phone? surely EU rules state that when it breaks Nokia owe me a knew phone?

i've done everything but still can't run it...

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I love these kinda games (I had to go digging to find my original Q2 CDs) but the control interface on the N900 (or any similar device) is just awful.

I'm no 1337 gamer, but without dual mouse&keyboard control it plain sucks. Totally wrong platform for such games.

I think I'll reinstall it on my F12 box, get some beer and relive the good ol'days
If you've played the duke nukem 3d n900 port you'd see that its quite feasible to play these games on the n900 if the screen/mouse calibration is done correctly... wish i had more coding experience, i would definately give it a go. Maybe i'll try.

Originally Posted by llamastyle View Post
If you've played the duke nukem 3d n900 port you'd see that its quite feasible to play these games on the n900 if the screen/mouse calibration is done correctly...
Yes, I've played it and I thought it was awful. 5 mins later I uninstalled it in disgust.

As I said before, the N900 is physically the wrong platform for such games. I don't expect to be proven wrong...but by all means try, I would dearly love to be wrong

Just because it is technically possible to port software so it can run on the N900, doesn't necessarily mean that it is any good when run on this platform.

Originally Posted by Dak View Post
Yes, I've played it and I thought it was awful. 5 mins later I uninstalled it in disgust.

As I said before, the N900 is physically the wrong platform for such games. I don't expect to be proven wrong...but by all means try, I would dearly love to be wrong

Just because it is technically possible to port software so it can run on the N900, doesn't necessarily mean that it is any good when run on this platform.
To me, I think FPS gaming is possible on the N900. Below is an example config for the N95, that, in my opinion.. would work wonders on the N900: Accelerometer to look, arrow keys (or even touch screen) to strafe and walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl91gQikaog

I think someone just needs to try a similar config with OA, Q2, Q3 etc to see it works fine.