if the gpu is handling all the display stuff, 600mhz ARM 11 is plenty for a symbian phone. i think only the most recent nokia symbian phones have the 600mhz version, before that it was 434mhz I think

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
Here is the quickest reference that I found. Search the interwebs for Broadcom and N8 and you may find some more info.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=Nokia&page=33
Ah, the usual self referential rumour. Note that there are also OMAP chipsets whose press releases called them capable of encoding h264 at 720p.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
if the gpu is handling all the display stuff, 600mhz ARM 11 is plenty for a symbian phone. i think only the most recent nokia symbian phones have the 600mhz version, before that it was 434mhz I think
Is it supposed to be the flagship device? The N8? Are people gonna get suckered into buying this phone also? The phone seems like a mid-tier device with a really good camera. N86 anyone?

Originally Posted by gom4381 View Post
Is it supposed to be the flagship device? The N8? Are people gonna get suckered into buying this phone also? The phone seems like a mid-tier device with a really good camera. N86 anyone?

This 'flagship; talk is nonsensical really. Nokia produces a WIDE array of phone models and is constantly releasing new ones

I cannot find a single Nokia press release or even an official Nokia blog post that refers to a phone model as a flagship.

I can, though, google nokia flagship and see where through the ages, idiots have bestowed that title on all sorts of different phones, most recently x6, n97, 5800, n86, n8, n900, n97mini, e90 and on and on.

If anything, Nokia probably has several different lines with a range within each line. the way I see it right now Nokia has these lines:

messaging - e63, e71, e72 etc
imaging - n86, n8, n95
music - 5800, x6, etc
computer - n900, hopefully more soon

There is no point in Nokia having a single 'flagship' model, for some e72 might be the best device, for some maybe x6 is the best device, for others maybe n86 is best device

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Ah, the usual self referential rumour. Note that there are also OMAP chipsets whose press releases called them capable of encoding h264 at 720p.
The only thing I was sure of was the processor being an arm 11 as stated in my old post. I backed it up with link to an official Nokia website.

And I clearly said I'm guessing about the GPU unit. The link given in regards to this is just the product page I speculated it to be, nothing more.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
nokians on twitter have been saying its not the flagship device thats still to be announced.
remember the flagships for each range nokia offers will be N9-XX, C9-XX, X9-XX, etc. they made that clear when they announced new system, higher the number more top of the range it is, so N8 is next notch down on flagship ladder

Why's that? It looks very smooth if not smoother then the n900

I think this phone is going to be a winner for Nokia.

Last edited by sevla; 2010-05-13 at 18:09.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Why not port the rally game to N900??? We need more 3D games like Bounce is made of.

It irritates me that we don't have more proper 3d games yet like race/rally games.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Man that Symbian still looks boring.

Smooth, though! Now I find myself moved by the N8. I've moved from apathy to recognizing its existence.

Didn't look too smooth to me.

Tags
yeah so