Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Hi guys,

Just installed PR1.2 upgrading from PR1.1 + Enhanced Kernel, download went fine, just as the "updating" bar started I had "operation failed" message and the device just hung. Couldn't do anything but switch off. Once it started up again I got to the "Nokia" screen with the message "Installing software update. Please do not interrupt."

Currently on that screen now up to 56% done......

Not sure if that was because of the kernel or not, but it is the only thing I have installed that is "testing or dev" (i.e not a 'standard' extras app) so I guess it must be causing the issue.

I will post again once "software update" completes and let you know what happens I feel a re-flash coming on

Anyone else had this issue??

Ok so reached 100% then it started again (at 0%) and went up to 25%....

then had the same "Nokia" screen with a blue status bar that filled all the way up, then the device restarted itself....

once re-started I had the normal boot up screen, then a random flash of "ovi terms and conditions" before I could accept them it went to the "little white circles" screen - they were flashing in a random order - rather than from one end to the other???? weird!!!

then it went to the desktop (only one desktop was there instead of four) with a couple of random widgets.....

managed to get to the "system" icon in the main menu and take a look at "about device" - it was still saying "3.2010.02-8.203.1" - so not updated.

managed to get a few files that I forgot about backing up off the /home to the memory card and decided to give it a re-boot Oh yeah took a look at conky as well it was "linux 2.6.28-omap1" so must be any issue with enhanced kernel.

another weird thing was under "settings" all the icons were under "extras" rather than under their original catergories???

thought I would watch the device for a minute and i keep getting "Internal error. Application xxxxx closed." this has been for email/photos/calender etc......

so I think re-flash is the best idea (both eMMC and OS) - first time I have had to do it..... shame

Anyone else have something similar to this? Or any thoughts/ideas??

BTW: Do you leave SIM card in or out when you re-flash??

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
which version of the enhanced kernel did you have installed?
the upgrade should overwrite the enhanced kernel.
The only critical thing is the symlink /lib/modules/current.
It it overwrites it as expected then everything should be fine and you
only need to reinstall the enhanced kernel after the upgrade.
I don't know whether it does as I still don't have access to the OTA 1.2 upgrade .

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
managed to get a few files that I forgot about backing up off the /home to the memory card and decided to give it a re-boot Oh yeah took a look at conky as well it was "linux 2.6.28-omap1" so must be any issue with enhanced kernel.
This indicates that you're running the Nokia kernel.

no, the kexec patches did not make into the PR1.2 kernel.
They are included in the enhanced kernel.

Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
Not really on topic but:

On meego developer list was discussed that a kexec-cabaple kernel is needed to dual boot maemo/meego.
So I just *guess* that PR 1.2 will have at least that enhancement, it may be they will add some other options (hoping they listens for community needs on a such easy task).

Originally Posted by titan View Post
which version of the enhanced kernel did you have installed?
the upgrade should overwrite the enhanced kernel.
The only critical thing is the symlink /lib/modules/current.
It it overwrites it as expected then everything should be fine and you
only need to reinstall the enhanced kernel after the upgrade.
I don't know whether it does as I still don't have access to the OTA 1.2 upgrade .

This indicates that you're running the Nokia kernel.
v28 I think - sorry can't remember of the top of my head...

to be honest it has started to do lots of funny things now, im not surprised, so it looks like the new kernel tried to flash over the enhanced one, but just didn't install all parts???? do you think a full eMMC and OS is nessecary or just OS will fix it???

To be honest I am leaning towards just doing both and being done with it - got a back up anyway.....

v28 till v31 from -devel were totally broken.
I can't see why it should not have install all parts.
rootfs reflash should be sufficient. eMMC is only useful if you want to sell your device.
Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
v28 I think - sorry can't remember of the top of my head...
to be honest it has started to do lots of funny things now, im not surprised, so it looks like the new kernel tried to flash over the enhanced one, but just didn't install all parts???? do you think a full eMMC and OS is nessecary or just OS will fix it???

To be honest I am leaning towards just doing both and being done with it - got a back up anyway.....

Originally Posted by titan View Post
v28 till v31 from -devel were totally broken.
I can't see why it should not have install all parts.
rootfs reflash should be sufficient. eMMC is only useful if you want to sell your device.
that might be why....i know its a bit strange.....maybe it's just one of those things

ok I'll go for rootfs flash first and see what happens....

quick n00b question, does the eMMC version get updated at all, just noticed that the latest version that I downloaded was different to the version I had in my "sh*t has hit the fan - N900 recovery folder" on my desktop

If it doesn't get updated OTA then is it worth just flashing both??

Oh and sorry to ask again but SIM card in or out during re-flashing (can't find reference to it on the wiki page)

Same upgrade > boot loop issue here, except that after leaving the device in boot loop, it eventually boots all the way, but the system isn't stable and often reboots. Stable enough to grab some files off it before I re-flash though! During upgrade the process failed due to mem limitations, but running:

dpgk --configure -a

then finished the process apart from a couple of missing dependencies which were then satisfied by running:

apt-get -f install:

dpkg also prompts about which config to install:

/etc/powervr.ini

or something like that - original has a couple of lines in it, new version is empty - I think I actually chose new version..whether this will have affected things to the extent it has is doubtful..

All this was done using a link to an apt package cache located in /user/home/ as instructed elsewhere in this forum..

I had the same reboot loop problems when flashing to leaked release 1.2, and this without the enhanced kernel.