Active Topics

Closed Thread
on my understanding i think we dont need nokia's support on this device. I mean its open source... What can nokia do that developers cant? It's not like the old symbian wherein developers have limited access to the devices whole functionality. Being open source with just enough knowledge we could release or make our own firmwares without nokias help at all. Imagine that you just bought an hp computer. The provide updates but you could reformat the whole os and install a new one that stand on its own.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
He pretty much seems to be a complete cock as far as I can see. Apparently an operating system is a 'useless feature'..

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
on my understanding i think we dont need nokia's support on this device. I mean its open source... What can nokia do that developers cant? It's not like the old symbian wherein developers have limited access to the devices whole functionality. Being open source with just enough knowledge we could release or make our own firmwares without nokias help at all. Imagine that you just bought an hp computer. The provide updates but you could reformat the whole os and install a new one that stand on its own.

If that was the case then why was the whole community waiting for PR1.2? The GPS software is not even close to the one on Symbian phones and I doubt that anyone in this community will develop a free alternative to Ovi Maps.

Nokia's making a mistake by leaving everything to the willful devs because they won't be here forever and those who are waiting for new software won't be getting much now that MeeGo won't be on this phone anymore.

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
He pretty much seems to be a complete cock as far as I can see. Apparently an operating system is a 'useless feature'..

I take it back...

MENTIONING that it's a Linux OS is a useless habit especially when you don't have the features and software to back it up.

I apologize Lord Linux but it's true... Bring out the features!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Nokia doesn't care about "N900 people"
Then why on earth they released FW update and help stskeeps developing community edition of meego for N900?

Nokia knows that anyone who complains about this on this site will get insulted by many dedicated members (fanboys) so thank you for making Nokia's life easier to get rid of us. You are the reason why Nokia canceled MeeGo.

Again, I'd like to thank the devs for their contributions.
cancelled MeeGo? Wtf my pal? I want same dose that you take!

Obvious troll is obvious.

I knew you couldn't stay away. Pathetic man. Truly pathetic.

Like I say, I see it as a palm sized netbook, any new software that comes out for it is a bonus.

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
I take it back...

MENTIONING that it's a Linux OS is a useless habit especially when you don't have the features and software to back it up.

I apologize Lord Linux but it's true... Bring out the features!
The fact that it is linux isn't really the point, I've never used linux before, and still have no desire to have it installed on a laptop or desktop machine (that might change if I do start tinkering a bit deeper). The fact is that it is a proper operating system. I can download an mp3 off a blog, make a new folder somewhere, move the mp3 in there and play it. Not once so far have I felt restricted by the OS.

No.

They made a massive error overlooking just how many people had been waiting for a device just like it.

From my position at work, I speak to people from inside LG, Nokia, Samsung etc on a monthly basis. The Nokia rep stated to me himself Nokia where taken aback slightly by how many people went out and got an N900.

But hey, simple fact of the matter is, if you dont like the device then just **** off and stop crying about it.....

I am a little concerned too, Nokia seem to be looking for direction in the smartphone market, the N900 was seen as the new direction Nokia had chosen to take, but now approaching 6 months since its release its looking more like a dead end, without the corporate backing we will still have apps and development just at a much smaller level, and as users drift off to new devices and with them new a OS then their evolvement with this platform will go with them.

Like most i got the N900 for the long term, thinking that with time it would prove to be a platform that would be driving Nokia devices for the future, and with it bring development, apps and features.

Worry more when at this stage there is still no OVI suite support, still no OVI maps voice guidance is this telling us something?

Closed Thread