Active Topics

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Ah, cool. I see how this works now.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Second request: the controls need to be more finger-friendly. IMO, I shouldn't be required to use the stylus for this sort of application.
It really should be a Canola backend. The Nokia Media Streamer UI sucks compared to it...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Oh I dunno, at least with the Media Streamer UI you can compose playlists which is not currently possible in Canola. I prefer the Media Streamer UI for Rhapsody, but it isn't so finger friendly.

I wonder if Nokia are attempting the Guinness world record for "The highest number of different and incompatible GUI front ends for the same function on a single device"?

Currently we have Media Streamer/Rhapsody, Canola, Media Player, FM Radio and Park WiFi all performing pretty much the same media access duties. Wouldn't a single unified GUI be preferable to all these overlapping projects?

This is pretty cool. I used to subscribed to rhapsody for a couple months ,because the streaming worked in linux, and I found it pretty good.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
It says US only anyone get around that?

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by Nik1 View Post
It says US only anyone get around that?
The only way is to currently have a credit card issued by a US bank or credit institute. It was like when iTunes first rolled out. Only the States-side customers had a chance to purchase but things got better a few months down the road. Or you can find an American friend with a credit card. The good and the bad is, I had the credit card, and can order the service but I do not care for anything Real.

Good luck.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
It really should be a Canola backend. The Nokia Media Streamer UI sucks compared to it...
I was referring to Rhapsody's UI; I haven't looked to see if the two are similar as was remarked.

Personally if they are I think "sucks" is a harsh assessment, but that's just me.

EDIT: and I agree with Milhouse. Unification! Unification!

For what it's worth, I downloaded it and it seemed to work OK, but when I queue up a half dozen or so specific songs [based on search results], it hangs and/or re-boots after only a few songs. This has happened four times so far. I have yet to get it to play more than three or four songs. No pauses before the hang/reboot, and my internet and wifi connections are quite solid throughout. Of course, this could be a 'lmitation' of the trial offer, but it sure won't convince me to lay down any cash!

Anyone experience anything similar?

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
For what it's worth, I downloaded it and it seemed to work OK, but when I queue up a half dozen or so specific songs [based on search results], it hangs and/or re-boots after only a few songs. This has happened four times so far. I have yet to get it to play more than three or four songs. No pauses before the hang/reboot, and my internet and wifi connections are quite solid throughout. Of course, this could be a 'lmitation' of the trial offer, but it sure won't convince me to lay down any cash!

Anyone experience anything similar?
No not at all, I have been playing with the rhapsody player all day long, creating playlists with searches and entire albums. I must say that this is the first app outside of Canola and the browser that I can say is a true killer app. I personally define that with the added caveat that I must feel like I am getting a great experience and not "compromising" by using it.

I agree with the calls for standardisation but lets be real here, how many win/linux/mac apps really have true UI compatibility unless they are by the same software company. This player is similar to the Media streamer app and it obviously has similar UI code base.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I spent a few hours with Rhapsody, playing vintage Suicide and Verdi and Wagner and John Fahey. Quite a few clashes in musical style, but no crashes, or even hiccups.