Active Topics

Poll: What is the key area to success
Poll Options
What is the key area to success

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Digital-era slavery FTW.

Blindly and fanatically channel all your funds to them, no matter their offering?
Believe it or not, there are a few elements that need to be present to make a healthy and active market works. Not just willing buyers.
90% of the N900 owners knew that it was step 4 of 5, in other words, a beta. Nokia clearly mentioned that this device was for geeks only. They didn't have such sales expectations and continued their focus towards step 5. It's no slavery. If you really want a perfect step 5, help out and stop b****ing.

The N-gage app was perfectly developed by Nokia, hence the delays. You had a working market inside the app and a full "xbox live" service. Did such effort on Nokia's behalf deserve to go down the drain????

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
90% of the N900 owners knew that it was step 4 of 5, in other words, a beta. Nokia clearly mentioned that this device was for geeks only. They didn't have such sales expectations and continued their focus towards step 5. It's no slavery. If you really want a perfect step 5, help out and stop b****ing.

The N-gage app was perfectly developed by Nokia, hence the delays. You had a working market inside the app and a full "xbox live" service. Did such effort on Nokia's behalf deserve to go down the drain????
90%? bollocks. You'd be pegging n900's distribution at much Less than 100k units by that estimation (Ie: just knowledgeable fanboys who follow maemo related news. Even nokia diehards from the symbian side may not know about maemo's 5 steps program).

Uh yeah. They need to entice developers, they need to make a visible and exciting marketplace, they need to market the client device AND content to a much wider audience and tweak all elements (including app prices and profit distribution with the developers) to make everything running smoothly and snowball into what gargantuan machine that Apple's AppStore has become.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Get the act together with development tools and documentation. You spend endless hours with Maemo just to get the software packaged for the first time. Android can show an example.

Do some proper research and planning to get the PIM correct. Now it seems that random developers with requirements like "make a calendar" have hacked the thing together. PIM might be more important with Nokia E-series though.

Improve the media players and indexers. Codec support is quite good already, but e.g. default music player is lacking obvious features.

For me its not about features but accessibility.
The Nokia 770 was at a price if I remember of 150 pounds when it came out. Over the years the price has gone to silly levels.

How about an N900 at 300 Pounds or even 200 Pounds.

4 billion phone users in the world. There surely is room for a few more Smart phones for the masses.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Why should we care if the N900 successor will beat its competitors or not? It will not run Maemo, and the OS it runs won't run on any devices that do run Maemo.

This thread should be in off topic thread.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

QT compatibility and lots and lots of hardware. But as ysss said, there's no point in just copying competitors. I think Meego should focus on seamless computing across different devices.

Imagine if you had a Meego netbook/laptop, Meego tablet, Meego phone, Meego TV, and Meego in car entertainment system and you could seamlessly interact with them all so each Meego device knows where you left off in whatever software you were using.

Sadly I think Apple, Google, or even Microsoft will be there first though. My bet being on Google, with Apple doing it for media

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Why should we care if the N900 successor will beat its competitors or not? It will not run Maemo, and the OS it runs won't run on any devices that do run Maemo.

This thread should be in off topic thread.
so, if my understanding is absolute, is the n900 the last maemo?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I won't even mention Apple of Google in this post because if Nokia were to really attempt to do something creative and pervasive... they need to create a self-standing platform somehow makes people forget their fickle past.

It needs a standard - although many others may exist - manner to produce apps for it. There needs to be a GUI IDE alongside a commandline method to produce apps.

They really need to make Ovi more visible and enticing. So far, it's... non-existent and people who want to submit to it are locked out due to not knowing how to submit or how it's (in some cases) prohibitively expensive if you wish to be published. Neither have to be true, but many perceive it to be true.

They need to stop, rethink their current path(s). The N8 shows that they're capable of developing a rather decent media phone; however even it is missing so much. People are using their phones for much more than watching a movie... they want to produce a movie. And share it. Nokia's Life Blog was impressive when it first came out. It could have rivaled the (then big player) MySpace... instead it was never launched outside of Europe from what I know. Time to pull the pieces together and create a Nokia social something that will endure and entice.

They need to be able to do MS Office documents from the start.

And ultimately, they need to show progress, advertise more and above all... be more coherent in their message to prior, present and future consumers.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Imagine if you had a Meego netbook/laptop, Meego tablet, Meego phone, Meego TV, and Meego in car entertainment system and you could seamlessly interact with them all so each Meego device knows where you left off in whatever software you were using.
"Digital Convergance" perchance?

Theyve been banging on about it in the PC/Home Entertainments industry for years, (since the late 80s actually).
That's where your set-top boxes came from. But too much proprietary ignorance and "It's my party and you're not invited" has always put the moccas on it, so the only progress to date has been hard drive based video recorders.

But I believe it'll happen one day.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

Sadly I think Apple, Google, or even Microsoft will be there first though. My bet being on Google, with Apple doing it for media
From what I have been following, Windows 7 mobile is based around this concept so it may be first.