Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Zhe View Post
Now, you don't want CEOs to starve, do you? They have very temperamental tummies.
Actually, now that you ask...

The two places around here which sell the 770 and the N800 have rarely had either on display.

In the case of Compusa, both were in a locked glass display case at ground level behind a counter. Unless I was pressed right up against the counter I would't have even seen them. For a limited time, Compusa has a 770 on display with the other Nokia cell phones, but it was up for maybe 2 weeks.

Fry's carries both units and keeps them in locked clear plastic boxes on the shelf in the area where the other PDA's are located. They have sometimes had a 770 on display, but never a N800.

My opinion is that Nokia isn't doing a very good job of marketing these to the general public.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
My opinion is that Nokia isn't doing a very good job of marketing these to the general public.
I agree with that, BUT it is unrelated to retail store policy, both corporate and individual. For instance, CompUSA near me had both the 770 and N800 prominently out on display and I saw 2 customers playing with them. So obviously the experience at one store can differ significantly from another, an element cout of Nokia's control. However, the company definitely should be doing better at advertising-- in many ways.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I don't think it's Nokia... If you were to walk into a Nokia store, the N800 takes up approximately a third of all displays. There were no less than 15 units out on the floor when I went there.

I think it's more CompUSA not knowing what they're selling, more than anything.

R.
==

I don't think it's Nokia...
If you compare to compusa, yes Nokia is doing a great job. But if you compare to Apple's iphone, Nokia is doing a lousy job.

Aim your advertising high, and at your competitors, not your distribution system.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Retailers don't know what the N800 is or where it fits in their inventories...

That will change this summer. In the states, 2007 will be the summer of WiFi. Nokia is ahead of the curve on this one but when the weather breaks we will see people discovering 1000's of new "hot spots". From inner cities to museums and tourist attractions. Even major food store chains are coming on line with free access.

Some of the first devices civilians will see being used at these places where a lot of eyeballs congregate will have the word "NOKIA" written on them.

BTW, the iPhone is quite limited feature wise but I bet they will sell everyone they plan to...
One thing the Razor proved. In America, it's more important for some to look hip talking on a cell phone than any features it provides or even the quality or subject of the dang call.

Every 12 to 18 year old that had to have the Razor, will be compelled to get the iPhone in order to maintain... LoL

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
BTW, the iPhone is quite limited feature wise but I bet they will sell everyone they plan to...
I've seen Apple estimates of 8 million to 10 million right out of the chute.

Nope. Pigs will fly first.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Last I heard Motorola has sold 31.8 million Razors...

I wasn't impressed with the thing at all.

The "You look marvelous" crowd will declare it "old school" soon and leap toward what ever the current chick in the news with no panties is using. Lol

BTW... Cell carriers have reported over 1 million individual inquiries from customers asking when are they going to have them.

I agree with you though, in a perfect world the iPhone would flop because it has nothing new to offer except the wrapper it comes in.

But remember, the US market is a place where although we are involved in war in a foreign land that has lasted longer than WW II, a President who will only let his aides testify to Congress if they are allowed to lie, and about a hundred things that are developing and soon will negatively effect our daily lives; our nightly news devotes more time to a bimbo that has been dead for 3 months and did nothing with her life except pose for Playboy and marry a Billionaire.

"Action News Special Report!
Pigs all over the world have begun to mysteriously fly. Film at 11. Immediately following our Special 6 part series 'Anna. We hardly knew you.' "

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
BTW, yesterday when I got my N800 at Fry's, the cashier asked me what contract I got for it...I realized she was referring to a cellphone contract...So, I told her that no contract was needed to use it...she looked quite surprised and asked how I could make calls that way....I told her that I wasn't planning on making calls but connecting to the net...she looked more surprised.....

So it goes....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
BTW, yesterday when I got my N800 at Fry's, the cashier asked me what contract I got for it...I realized she was referring to a cellphone contract...So, I told her that no contract was needed to use it...she looked quite surprised and asked how I could make calls that way....I told her that I wasn't planning on making calls but connecting to the net...she looked more surprised.....

So it goes....

That kind of makes my point. Again, if you walk into a Nokia store, they know exactly what they're selling and have no problem demonstrating the product to you (and they'll do it gladly!).

The fact that Fry's or CompUSA don't know what they're selling... how is that really Nokia's problem? I have to imagine that when Fry's/CompUSA ordered these units, they were given some sort of briefing as to what they were capable of. Otherwise, why on earth would they order them in the first place?

R.
==