Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hleinone View Post
In my opinion this would be the only option the get some real attention on Maemo/MeeGo.
give me one good reason except the markethype?

Or in another world what apps does android have that maemo/meego is missing?

to mee Android is just a hype like IOS with millions apps in a store but most of them meaningless.

oh I forgot it got flassh 10.1 a must have not...

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
give me one good reason except the markethype?

Or in another world what apps does android have that maemo/meego is missing?

to mee Android is just a hype like IOS with millions apps in a store but most of them meaningless.

oh I forgot it got flassh 10.1 a must have not...
It does have some very decent apps, and finished apps at that. Many N900 users won't use devels/testing and many apps have been dropped and ceased development. Android has a great twitter widget, shazam, accuweather, a free office app etc. Sure, of the 50,000+ apps many are unnecessary and a waste of time, but there are some really good ones too.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Any news about this?

My dream would be:
You start NitDroid and go to the Android Market Place.
You install the applications you want.
Then you switch to maemo and start the same applications with the same libraries from maemo on the NitDroid partition.
You would have the full integration with maemo applications.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
My dream would be:
You start NitDroid and go to the Android Market Place.
You install the applications you want.
Then you switch to maemo and start the same applications with the same libraries from maemo on the NitDroid partition.
You would have the full integration with maemo applications.
if you want android apps get an android phone instead. The maemo oss or nonoss developers/community doesnt want dalvik. if they want they change to android.

and btw. if there is apps in android that is more stable than maemo once, why not help fix maemoapps instead of saying to the deveelopers to feed google by porting dalvik/android to n900 instead?

thats only stupid imho. I prefer choices but that choices doesnt mean we all should feed google so maemo/meego community totals dies causee everybody wants reinvent everything from Android and in the end kill core maemo/meego apps.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-15 at 13:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
The maemo oss or nonoss developers/community doesnt want dalvik.
And you are the self-proclaimed community spokesperson?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
I agree, this would be a very nice project.

We would all want top-tier support for applications on Maemo, but let's be realistic: it isn't going to happen. With MeeGo, maybe, but I have my doubts.

So this is yet another way to expand the platform and available apps for the user, and showing how it is flexible (and superior) to its alternatives.

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
And you are the self-proclaimed community spokesperson?
if you where an maemo/meego developer who likes qt/gtk why on earth woud they be intrested in porting dalvik sdk?

My point is if your a developer and doent like maemo/meego sell your phone get an android instead.

if you miss maemo apps or thinks some maemo apps is buggy. well then read my above post again but I guess you stoped read after my first setence.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
if you where an maemo/meego developer who likes qt/gtk why on earth woud they be intrested in porting dalvik sdk?
Exactly because of this?

Having Dalvik VM on Linux give you the growing range of Android applications, without having to resign of the Qt/GTK environment you like and giving away your privacy to Google NWO.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Exactly because of this?

Having Dalvik VM on Linux give you the growing range of Android applications, without having to resign of the Qt/GTK environment you like and giving away your privacy to Google NWO.
I tend to agree with mikecomputing on this. 'Best of both worlds' rarely happens in reality. Why would developers bother to target Maemo/Meego using Qt, when they can develop for Android in the knowledge that their applications can be run on Maemo/Meego devices in addition to Android devices.

I think this move could be a disincentive to develop for Maemo/Meego using Qt.

My website

GitHub

Tags
flame war, just shoot me