Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Let's put meego on it then.

And by "let's" I mean you lot.
If they really are opening even just the drivers and possibly boot ROM info, I imagine this would both be possible and VERY VERY interesting to see. I wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing--but I can imagine many others in the community who probably can and would jump at it. I would LOVE to see that--might even prefer it over an open Android. Not sure. I would have to see the advantages either would have.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's got TV-out via headphone jack, a six-axis accellerometer (!!!) and 5mp camera (no flash, though.. grr), small SMALL form factor.. I mean, really, with the exception of the lack of camera flash and keyboard, if they open-sourced its drivers and they're allowing the community to fix bugs and problems FOR them, it's easily an N900 killer.
I personally like the front facing camera.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I personally like the front facing camera.
Me too. But I'd give it up in a heartbeat for a fully opened device, if Samsung is going that route.

If they really are opening even just the drivers and possibly boot ROM info, I imagine this would both be possible and VERY VERY interesting to see. I wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing--but I can imagine many others in the community who probably can and would jump at it. I would LOVE to see that--might even prefer it over an open Android. Not sure. I would have to see the advantages either would have.
For sure. MeeGo on non-consortium hardware would be a huge win, a real step in the direction of freedom, and MeeGo becomes a proper hardware vendor independent linux distribution.

In my rosy and perhaps naive vision of the future it would only take a couple of big players to release their drivers to the kernel (and whatever else is required to the tree) before Meego momentum got underway and they all started doing it.

I fully expect to see this happen with in 10 years or so.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
For sure. MeeGo on non-consortium hardware would be a huge win, a real step in the direction of freedom, and MeeGo becomes a proper hardware vendor independent linux distribution.

In my rosy and perhaps naive vision of the future it would only take a couple of big players to release their drivers to the kernel (and whatever else is required to the tree) before Meego momentum got underway and they all started doing it.

I fully expect to see this happen with in 10 years or so.
Samsung MeeGo says, "No, YOU GO" to Nokia's closed-mindedness!
What a glorious headline that could be. I wonder if Samsung would agree?

Last edited by danramos; 2010-07-31 at 13:31. Reason: s/Nikon/Nokia/ wth was I thinking??

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
"Wait and see, boys. Wait and see."
my thoughts verbatim (thought i would use a word other than 'exactly')

as for the hardware keyboard, every phone should have two versions, one with ('name of phone here' pro)and one without ('name of phone here')! HAHA JK! that was a joke everyone :P

We'll see.

Dumping tarballs and .zip files on the community is at best base participation and can't compete with open repositories you can do a git clone of.

Skeptical, but downloading anyway.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ok. I've been teetering on the edge of getting a Captivate since it's been offered to me by AT&T three times already... and I might just jump on it now.

This... is friggin' awesome news.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Without trying to play down this, but isn't the wording a little like it's the parts they're obliged to open source like other vendors do?

That said, I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt and grabbing it too..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Without trying to play down this, but isn't the wording a little like it's the parts they're obliged to open source like other vendors do?
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that they're obligated to open is the Linux kernel they distributed. I expect somewhat modified Android sources and no real hardware drivers.

That said, I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt and grabbing it too..
Yup.

Tags
2nokia, android, face palm, opensource