Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yeah, I get what you mean. But the sheer amount of folks that shun "there's a need for more apps" seem to knee-jerk their way to "Oh, the iPhone has only fart apps..." when honestly, I've owned an iPhone in one way or another for 3 years... no fart apps have ever crossed my path/phone.

The fact that people have Python, SSH, VPN, a multitude of editors, et al doesn't mean there's no room for actual games, entertainment, (quick to lock) geo-location aware apps. Hell, there's no real 3D engines like Unity3D, no free SMS apps like Gogii textPlus or TextFree... there's a whole slew of "holes" in the app side that would extend the usability of the N900.

Yet... folks are quicker to say "there's no need" or "we don't need that..." when honestly they're talking about mainly themselves. That level of egocentric nature should not be acceptable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
There is a pretty good case for single-workflow (not single task) mobile app on smartphones. Due to limited everything (screen, ram, cpu, etc) it may be inconvenient to take your data thru a bunch of different apps to get a single workflow done. Here's an example:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/scanner-...333710667?mt=8

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yet... folks are quicker to say "there's no need" or "we don't need that..." when honestly they're talking about mainly themselves. That level of egocentric nature should not be acceptable.
Anosognosic's dilemma?
¿ssıןq sı ǝɔuɐɹouƃı
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-08-01 at 08:40.

I agreed more with what you said pre-edit than post

Smaller words to digest.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-08-01 at 08:39.

Yeah @gerbick you are right about the 'there's a whole slew of "holes" '... the problem is that N900 needs a kinda specific coding for covering those "holes"... 'cause as you know the *nix support considering different apps is not a smartphone oriented... Most of the OSC developers work on apps for the desktop/server environment... those that do smth on N900, need to have it themselves and need to have time to do it. So i admire all the devs here on maemo for their work...

And as for the egocentric users and attitude... i do not think this is of any importance to the evolution of the OSC development... It is really a "general need" - "lack of support" ratio that drives the development in the *nix world....

No excuses. If the platform is powerful enough to support an administrator's work, thus fulfill the "Linux computer in your pocket"... it should also be able to expand to other, typically overlooked avenues too.

The parts aren't there though. And the fact that a year after announcement, they're still lacking... that's alarming.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@gerbick: lol noted.

It's not exactly 'ignorance' per se (or is it?).... anyway I'm kind of shocked really to see those kind of ignorant answers spewed by so called 'hackers' which are essentially 'digital explorers'.

They don't know what they're missing.
They're basing their current elitist stances on inaccurate information.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Yeah it will... in time it will expand... we just need to have patience so the folks working on Meego (not the one in the minds of Nokia) do their jobs...
And as for Nokia... I have stopped expecting them to do anything good for the *nix world long ago...

Originally Posted by phobosk View Post
Yeah it will... in time it will expand... we just need to have patience so the folks working on Meego (not the one in the minds of Nokia) do their jobs...
And as for Nokia... I have stopped expecting them to do anything good for the *nix world long ago...
I'm not seeing the expansion in apps between Maemo 4 to Maemo 5. I do see the expansion in integration; however both apps had RTComm, both had Skype, both had MicroB, both had Mauku, both had an Nav app, both had Xournal.

I'm over-simplifying things quite a bit. But as it stands, the expansion of apps is minor compared between generations if you were casually looking only at the surface. Underneath the surface... hell yeah. Tons of growth.

But you'd actually have to take the time to see that. I did. Most people will not.

Again, the level of certain apps, there are still way too many holes; thus this thread and many like it.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Speaking as a dev with no iPhone experience, telling us what you actually want is better than saying you want all the millions of apps available on the iOS app store. Specifics please Then maybe we could work something out. I'm not against the idea at all for creating new apps that exist on the iPhone or Android platforms.b I've just not seen anything in my few minutes of google searches that seems appealing. Games aside, I don't think most of us have the time or experience to develop the quality of games those platforms have. but useful utilities for sure.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But you'd actually have to take the time to see that. I did. Most people will not.
Yeah that is why the popularity of *nix among general users is so low ... incl. N900
Sometimes even I lose patience waiting for diff things to be done/fixed...

As for the threads... i do not think anyone should blame the authors or the ppl responding to them for being low level.... It's a forum afterall, not a highly dedicated tech talk