Poll: How would you like to run Telescope and App Launcher
Poll Options
How would you like to run Telescope and App Launcher

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Unfortunately, i haven't started with notifications yet. Although i have some some ideas about how to implement them.
The problem is in how to catch notifications on the fly via d-bus. Diablo's version of d-bus makes me unable to do it in righteous way and i need to invent some workarounds.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
My thoughts:
Home key for both telescope and launcher.
Optional statusbar item for launcher.
Top-left icon in Diablo5 theme acts as combined task switcher (cycling through tasks) and notification area (if any notifications are currently active).

The Following User Says Thank You to akorvemaker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I don't mind the 'press home button one time and telescope launches, press it twice and launcher triggers, third time telescope..and so on" - BUT I wouldn't want that to be the only way I could start Launcher.

In a perfect world the above would work but in ADDITION to that I could also have an application icon in my status bar that I could click on and start Launcher. Sometimes I use my tablet on the stand and don't "hold it". Having to now grab it just to get into Launcher would be much more cumbersome in that situation than just clicking on an icon in the statusbar.

The >Start>Programs-menu approach adds too much complexity, in my mind, I'd love for this to be fast and cutting down on steps and menus to get to something you use multiple times/day.

As others have said, Mitrandir, go with your gut and do what you think is best/most efficient - your trackrecord has indeed been great there
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
My thoughts:
Top-left icon in Diablo5 theme acts as combined task switcher (cycling through tasks) and notification area (if any notifications are currently active).
I want the exact same thing (incl the status-bar task-switching icon)
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
My thoughts:
Using that top left button is ideal but that would require changing the window manager (matchbox) to support this. Mitrandir ? is that an option ?

Another idea, launch telescope, when you press the background you get launcher, press background again to reach homescreen. No need to add any buttons to telescope this way.

Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
Another idea, launch telescope, when you press the background you get launcher, press background again to reach homescreen. No need to add any buttons to telescope this way.
I'm really in general, and here as well, strongly against having to go through applications to get to where I want. I don't want to tap and then tap to get to desktop. I want to tap.

Launch Telescop: Homekey.
Launch Launcher: Softkey in statusbar.
Exit either: Single tap.

That should be the bare minimum for the most efficient use. You could of course add OPTIONS to double-tap/double-click, menus (ugh), etc - but please let those be options and don't abandon the focus on speed and simplicity.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Now it seems to me that we would implement "Home key for both" approach and also will release two optional packages which will include Statusbar and Navigator applets for the launcher. Thanks to D-Bus support these applets could be optional parts and are pretty trivial.

I don't like idea with tapping on background to run launcher too because it doesn't allow running launcher to be automated in your fingers. I mean it makes you think on where you should tap to hit the background and not hit one of window thumbnails (which can change their positions depending of number of windows opened).

Some sort of softkey in topleft corner inside telescope is good for Diablo5 theme, even more if this softkey will look same as topleft corner button on desktop (which in this case will fully mimic Fremantle). But for classic themes, it would be not so logical, i think.

Originally Posted by giladmttw
Using that top left button is ideal but that would require changing the window manager (matchbox) to support this. Mitrandir ? is that an option ?
As far as i know, it is possible to have one of hildon statusbar applets on topleft position and if it really so (need to ask Kroll about this), we can craft the statusbar applet that will implement the desired behavior.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Please keep up!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
Now it seems to me that we would implement "Home key for both" approach and also will release two optional packages which will include Statusbar and Navigator applets for the launcher. Thanks to D-Bus support these applets could be optional parts and are pretty trivial.

I don't like idea with tapping on background to run launcher too because it doesn't allow running launcher to be automated in your fingers. I mean it makes you think on where you should tap to hit the background and not hit one of window thumbnails (which can change their positions depending of number of windows opened).

Some sort of softkey in topleft corner inside telescope is good for Diablo5 theme, even more if this softkey will look same as topleft corner button on desktop (which in this case will fully mimic Fremantle). But for classic themes, it would be not so logical, i think.

As far as i know, it is possible to have one of hildon statusbar applets on topleft position and if it really so (need to ask Kroll about this), we can craft the statusbar applet that will implement the desired behavior.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Please keep up!
It is possible to eliminate the left button so that the status bar starts at the left corner, but then you lose one button and we don't have that many. Also that button is 80 pixels (or any size you choose) and status bar buttons are fixed at 40.
You can change the top left button to "minimize all" thereby showing the home screen. Only single tap to home.

Is it possible to assign running custom command to that button?