Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Would you purchase Sygic Mobile Maps 10 with Asia Pacific Map Data?
Poll Options
Would you purchase Sygic Mobile Maps 10 with Asia Pacific Map Data?

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sydney
I have installed Mobile Maps 10 on my N900, and I have also purchased the MM10 Australia/NZ maps from Sygic (for Android, doesn't matter I think really as long as it's not the iPhone version).

I installed MM10 according to this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=815580&postcount=1
The package name is mobile-maps-10

Then from what you bought/downloaded from Sygic, put Res/ Maps/ and Drive/ (see below) under the N900 internal flash (i.e. under MyDocs/)

The (a little bit) tricky part is Drive/, as you won't have Drive/Maemo for AU/NZ map.

I used Drive/Android and renamed it to Drive/Maemo
Those ini files are mostly fine I believe. But if you're desperate, compare the ones from MM9 /opt/sygic/Drive/Maemo. In particular, keymap.ini, which you may want to update those keycodes according to the MM9 ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to pigeond For This Useful Post:
i would purchase this app if they had maps for S.E.A.

also, how do you purchase maps only from their website?

edit: nvm, figured it out. paying double the price ain't fun

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
G'day all, first post from a complete computer-illiterate, so be nice.

I had to actually join (after snooping for so long) to record my success with getting Sygic MM10 + AU/NZ maps to integrate and work effectively.

As pigeond had alluded to (above), it can be made to work, although, it does cost you more than it ought to.

Firstly, I bought Maemo SMM10 - Canada (the cheapest option) and installed it all, then activated the Canadian maps.

Secondly, I bought the Android SMM10 AU/NZ package.

Once I had unzipped the SMM10 AU/NZ files onto my laptop, I connected my N900 via 'Mass Storage Mode' and copied the 'Maps' files - AU & NZ folders, as well as the SMM10 Australia & New Zealand.mlm file into the 'Maps' folder in my N900 root drive.

I held my breath and did a reboot and ran the Sygic MM10 program. I went to the 'Maps' icon in the program and switched to the SMM10 AU/NZ map, activated it and all is working 100%.

I'm very pleased with the outcome, however, am disappointed that Sygic is not providing a solution - off the bat - at a fair rate for end users from AU/NZ.

Disclaimer: I cannot explain it any better than how I have and I cannot provide any assistance, other than what I have already posted, so I'm not guaranteeing it will work for anybody else, nor can I assist with any fault-finding if it doesn't work for others, as I simply do not know how to.

However, if you want to have a crack at it, you may do so in the knowledge that a complete hack has been able to get it to function correctly.

cheers

Last edited by macca33; 2010-09-20 at 00:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to macca33 For This Useful Post:
Can confirm V10 android maps work with the maemo v10 of MMAPS. It is one of the best navigation softwares I have used so far in spite of all the complaints on here.

<Censored warez>

I payed 40 EURO for the android software + maps because I could not figure out how to download maps only.

Haven't used it TOO much yet so only time will tell but I can't figure out why they haven't relased the AU maps for maemo if the work as well as it seems?

Last edited by xomm; 2010-10-09 at 16:16. Reason: Please do not post cracking methods; they're not allowed here.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandario For This Useful Post:
I can also confirm that the Australia/NZ maps for iPhone work with MM 10 version 8.16. You just have to move the directory 'map' to '~/MyDocs/Maps' and away it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to avidscavenger For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all the info, everybody. Looks like I will have to try to do the same thing as described here. I did contact Sygic about maps for Aust/NZ on Maemo, again (previously I had been told 'coming soon'), and got a most disheartening response (I also asked whether it was possible to use Android maps on Maemo, explaining their first sentence):

it's possible to run Australian maps, but it's not official and everything is on your risk. Support is not available in this case.

about news: Australia won't be available on Maemo for Mobile Maps ever, but only with Aura which is not in development.

no dates are yet available.

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Seriously, why don't you maniacs get together and share the Android map pack

I wasn't impressed by the Sygic maps 9 and preferred a stand alone device, but you guys do not deserve to be buying two frikken versions for one device to run SM Maps 10.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by sqrpeg View Post
Thanks for all the info, everybody. Looks like I will have to try to do the same thing as described here. I did contact Sygic about maps for Aust/NZ on Maemo, again (previously I had been told 'coming soon'), and got a most disheartening response (I also asked whether it was possible to use Android maps on Maemo, explaining their first sentence):
Yes, very disappointing, but I now am beginning to understand why they are not bothering with our region - it really is a small user base (judging by the interest in this thread, even if we had %0.1 of the user base respond, it's still less than 20000 users).

So as I undestand it, MM10 is free, we only need to buy Android AU version (correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,

travla

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ New Zealand
Well I emailed them about NZ for the N900 and got this response

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail. For Maemo device is application called Aura prepared with maps of Australia and New Zealand.

This application is under the construction and should be released in close future.

AURA comes with all data pre-loaded, so it will never let you down. Data storage is faster, more stable and cheaper than data transfer from an Internet connection. Wherever you are, use AURA to find your destination without any roaming costs. Places, addresses, maps, wiki information, city guides, navigation and voice guidance - all are pre-installed.
In case of any questions and feedbacks, please don't hesitate to contact me."

The Following User Says Thank You to Asterixnz For This Useful Post: