Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by natedog400 View Post
Thats what i said at first, its too long winded to find a certain image?
I want to open pictures... choose a folder... and there they are. My folders are all in the images folder so it could be done so that only they show? And if there is images that arn't in folders just show them too! And maybe an option to just view all but we've got that already. I have the same beef with my music but thats not the topic here?
wow you just completely missed my irony by lightyears.. You apparently dont have that much pictures do you...

Isnt there also option for filtering by folder in the built in app?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
If you have Easy Debian, you can use more standard image viewers. I've used Geeqie in my N900 for viewing pictures organized by folders. Worked fine. It took a bit of work to rearrange the UI to fit the N900's screen but after that it was no problem at all.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
yes, folders are excellent if you need to find for example a photo from a dog....
If my dog can send me photos then I'll enter it on America's Got Talent. Or maybe it will be smart enough to enter itself.

Or did you mean a photo of a dog? In which case I assume you mean the use of tags. Photos don't tag themselves and until image analysis technology is good enough to auto tag photos then organising through folders is good enough for me. For any application that deals with collections of stuff (music/photos/etc) the use of folders as an organisation aid has got to be the most fundamental requirement. After you got that sorted then go for the fancy stuff like tags and artificial semantic reasoning and deduction logic etc.

did you btw know that you can filter pictures shown in built in application by tapping the title bar and choosing the option?
But it doesn't remember the last folder used. Each time the photos app is started it defaults to displaying ALL images and I have to go through at least 7 clicks to be able to even start choosing the folder of photos that I want to view which are stored on my SD card.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Kureyon: which perfect UI have you designed and implemented and how much success have you had with it?
Last time I checked I have designed and implemented precisely zero UIs. I hope you're not suggesting that I need to have done so before I can criticise a UI or express my preference to what a UI should and should not do/have?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
If my dog can send me photos then I'll enter it on America's Got Talent. Or maybe it will be smart enough to enter itself.

Or did you mean a photo of a dog? In which case I assume you mean the use of tags. Photos don't tag themselves and until image analysis technology is good enough to auto tag photos then organising through folders is good enough for me. For any application that deals with collections of stuff (music/photos/etc) the use of folders as an organisation aid has got to be the most fundamental requirement. After you got that sorted then go for the fancy stuff like tags and artificial semantic reasoning and deduction logic etc.
well, you don't know what you are talking about too.

Tagging is the only reasonable way to keep in track of your photos. what if you need to find a best picture of a dog and you have hundred pictures in approximately 40 folders? of course you can move all the photos to same folder, but what if in one picture there is dog and your girlfriend? make a copy of the picture and move it to gf folder?
Google Custom Search

wow you just completely missed my irony by lightyears.. You apparently dont have that much pictures do you...

Isnt there also option for filtering by folder in the built in app?
There is such an option and I think the OP knows it. Problem is it is totally useless if you have many photos like I do. It will first load up every picture you have on the device. If you have album art in folders it will also load them up. This loading process can take up to five minutes. When it is over you can then filter by folder. Who is going to wait five minutes for that? For that reason I have not used the built in picture app since after a week of owning the N900 and that is close to a year now. Have to use file manager instead. Like the OP would love a picture app to use which views by folders.

I think it should work the same way blackberry picture app does. Yes blackberry, the most boring device in the world actually handles picture viewing far better than N900. When you open the app you are given the options all pictures, picture folders or sample pictures. Select all pictures and it loads all pictures the way the N900 does by default. Select picture folders and you get a list of all your folders with pictures and you just pick the one you want. If there are any pictures not in folders (eg if they are in the my docs part) then they are displayed at the bottom of the folder view. Sample pictures is just the pics that come with the device. I think this is how a picture app should work. Not just load all pictures by default when you could have thousands of pictures.

Tagging is the only reasonable way to keep in track of your photos. what if you need to find a best picture of a dog and you have hundred pictures in approximately 40 folders? of course you can move all the photos to same folder, but what if in one picture there is dog and your girlfriend? make a copy of the picture and move it to gf folder?
Maybe tagging works well if N900 is your source of pictures. Do not really take pictures on my N900. Like my music my pictures are obtained from my PC. And I am pretty sure people do not just dump their pictures in the my pictures folder on their PC. Rather you put the pictures in folders based on occassion or location. E.g John's 1st Birthday, Barbados, BMW, etc. Then you would have a general folder for pics which are not for a specific category.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Ditto.

Tagging is the only reasonable way to keep in track of your photos ...
Yeah, blah, blah. In the meantime, I'll say this again, organising by folders is plenty good enough for me. You like tags, fine use them. I'm not saying remove the tags feature just because I don't use it. I'm saying make folders useable.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Rather you put the pictures in folders based on occassion or location. E.g John's 1st Birthday, Barbados, BMW, etc. Then you would have a general folder for pics which are not for a specific category.
I have done that mistake and learned from it.....

now my folders are in format 2010_11_06 (for today example) and every identification is done with tags. then I can just use search, for example "gf AND Barbados" with my pcs integrated search function..
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Tagging is the right way to categorize content in my opinion. Folders hierarchical structure has many disadvantages. When the content is tagged, it is up to the file browser how this tags will be represented to the user. There is no problem that files with the same tags are shown as a "folder". Thus one file can be found in several "folders" simultaneously.

PS. I think GMail uses tags represented as folder to the users.

I have done that mistake and learned from it.....

now my folders are in format 2010_11_06 (for today example) and every identification is done with tags. then I can just use search, for example "gf AND Barbados" with my pcs integrated search function..
Hmm okay different strokes for different folks. Still prefer folders a million times more. I don't want to find all pictures of my wife in Madrid. I want to go to my Madrid folder and browse through the pictures there. And folder still appears to me to be the more commonly used method and all devices I have used other than N900 recognise that.